Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

1- Until she spoke I hadn't realized she wasn't English. (http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/until?q=until)
The inversion: Not until she spoke had I realized she wasn't English.

2- My sister had waited at the window until the school bus arrived. (*self-made*)
The inversion: Not until the school bus arrived had my sister waited at the window.

I would like to ask if the inversion of sentence one is OK or not. As for the second sentence, I am not sure if I should use the past perfect or should I use the simple past. If it is OK, I would like to ask if the inversion of it is OK, too?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Your rewriting of sentence #2 is not natural and it means the opposite of the original.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the first, I would use did I realise ​as the realisation came after/at the time of speaking. I don't see any natural inversion in the second.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it OK to say 'Not until the school bus arrived did my sister stop waiting at the window'?

Not a teacher.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually that's okay, Matthew.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is OK, and you could use had arrived as well- the problem with the original sentences is the use of the past perfect with the wrong part. However, I don't see either version as particularly natural sentences- it seems a bit too casual for this kind of style. You could create a context where it would sound OK, but this sentence and this inversion don't go well together IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.