Objects of which it is neither correct to assert nor to deny the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Higher-order vagueness in the usual sense is, on this account, an entirely pragmatic phenomenon, in the sense that it concerns correct assertability and believability. Typical vague concepts have borderline cases: objects of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept. Source

Is the underlined relative clause grammatical? As far as I understand, "objects of which" is in the position of object, same as "the concept", not subject so It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Higher-order vagueness in the usual sense is, on this account, an entirely pragmatic phenomenon, in the sense that it concerns correct assertability and believability. Typical vague concepts have borderline cases: objects of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept. Source

Is the underlined relative clause grammatical? As far as I understand, "objects of which" is in the position of object, same as "the concept", not subject so It doesn't make sense to me.

Typical vague concepts have borderline cases: objects of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept.

I would say that the whole underlined element is a relative clause.

"Which" functions as object of the preposition "of", and has "borderline cases" as antecedent.

We understand that it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept of objects of borderline cases.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Typical vague concepts have borderline cases: objects of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept.

I would say that the whole underlined element is a relative clause.

"Which" functions as object of the preposition "of", and has "borderline cases" as antecedent.

We understand that it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept of objects of borderline cases.

Is it a typo then? Wouldn't it be more grammatical to use the preposition "of" at the end of "the concept" or "the concept of objects of which ..."?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Is it a typo then? Wouldn't it be more grammatical to use the preposition "of" at the end of "the concept" or "the concept of objects of which ..."?

No, it's not a typo: the sentence is a little clumsy but acceptable.

No, you couldn't put "the concept of objects of which", as you suggest.

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

No, you couldn't put "the concept of objects of which", as you suggest.

Is it valid with this sentence as well "objects of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept of"?

capcap23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
No. You need only one 'of'
I have trouble understanding. By "no", do you mean it isn't valid, which means what I wrote is correct, or in general what I wrote is wrong? I'm assuming "of" refers to "objects of which".
and I want to give it a last shot.

"borderline cases: of which it is neither correct to assert (believe) nor to deny (disbelieve) the concept of objects." Do you think this is grammatical and decent sentence?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It makes sense to me, but not much- it isn't profound.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess I'm going to disagree with everybody. I don't see the underlined phrase as a relative clause but as a noun phrase.

(I wouldn't see any reason to read that unless I wanted to give myself a headache.)

Status
Not open for further replies.