Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
I came across this in an article from 1961: When this [stronger economy] occurs, the large books aid programs will very likely remain in the memory of Asians as an Odd John of history. Any clue what this Odd John refers to? Thanks for your input.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means nothing to me. I Googled "Odd John" but got only a science fiction novel from 1935. I can't see anything in the plot summary that I can connect logically to that sentence.
Please provide the complete source; "an article from 1961" isn't enough. We need the name of the author and the publication/website in which you saw it.

uruch

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Thanks for this. Personally I do not think this is of much help in the way of finding the meaning, but here it is:
Ref. Lowenberg, Carlton. "Book and Library Aid in Asia." Wilson Library Bulletin, 35 (2), 1961, p, 460.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is what ChatGPT tells us:

"Odd John" is a term that can be found in literature, and it refers to a specific character from a science fiction novel titled "Odd John" by Olaf Stapledon, published in 1935. In the novel, "Odd John" is the nickname given to John Wainwright, a highly intelligent and unconventional human being who possesses extraordinary mental and physical abilities. He is considered odd or different from typical humans due to his advanced traits.

The book explores themes related to human evolution, superintelligence, and the challenges and societal implications of individuals who are vastly superior to the average human. "Odd John" has had a lasting influence on science fiction literature and has been considered a classic in the genre.

So, when the term "Odd John" is used in a context like the one you provided from the 1961 article, it's likely making a reference to this novel and using it metaphorically to suggest that something is memorable, unique, or stands out in a notable way, just as the character John Wainwright (Odd John) did in the book.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for this. Personally I do not think this is of much help in the way of finding the meaning, but here it is:
Ref. Lowenberg, Carlton. "Book and Library Aid in Asia." Wilson Library Bulletin, 35 (2), 1961, p, 460.
We don't ask for the source because it will help us answer the question. We require the source because of the strict copyright laws in the UK (where the forum is based). Whenever you quote someone else's words, you need to cite the full source.