Oh, snap! You just got st. Peters-burned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"In his speech, just last night, Putin lied some more. [cut to Putin's speech] "Modern Ukraine from the beginning, and it's totality has been created by Russia." [cut to Colbert]: to prove Putin wrong, after he made that claim, the United States embassy in Kyiv tweeted out these four churches in Kyiv dating all the way back to the 10th century, next to the empty forest that Moscow was in the same period. Oh, snap! You just got St. Peters-Burned!"
link with timecode

Hello, everyone. I think "Snap" humorously refers to the "similarity" of the churches at the attached picture (3:27 at the link). Is that right?
And, what is puzzling me, what does the pun "Peters-Burned" exactly imply?

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Oh, snap!" is just an interjection. Like "boom!" It's supposed to signify that one has destroyed one's opposition with a blistering comeback.

Same with "burn!" at then end of a declaration, meaning "I have just completely humiliated you!"

St. Petersburg is a famous city in Russia. He just put the "Burn!" is the place of the last syllable, to make it a Russia-centric comment. For comedic effect.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A 'burn' is a joke, insult, comment, or retort that is particularly effective, insulting, or humiliating. It's also used as a verb, meaning to make such a comment.

I don't know for sure if the slang term derived from the notion of a comedic roast, but the similar term 'roasted' which does stem from the comedy roast, is also used as a slang synonym for 'burn' sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.