[Grammar] On completion of my showing you the products will you be happy to place an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In neither pair of sentences is there a significant difference is meaning, as I told you in another thread.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...our-products?p=1577803&viewfull=1#post1577803

The effect of the perfect aspect is to give a sense of completion to the verb phrase. On completion of my showing you the products will you be happy to place an order. [...]
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...our-products?p=1577858&viewfull=1#post1577858

Questions:

1. The green part and blue part are both inversions, but I don't understand the effect they have. (For emphasis?)

2. What if not using the inversion? That's to say:

(a1) In neither pair of sentences there is a significant difference is meaning ....

(b1) On completion of my showing you the products you will be happy to place an order.

What do you think?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Questions:

1. The green part and blue part are both inversions, but I don't understand the effect they have. (For emphasis?)

2. What if not using the inversion? That's to say:

(a1) In neither pair of sentences is there a significant difference is meaning ....

(b1) On completion of my showing you the products you will be happy to place an order.

What do you think?
You're right, there's not a big difference.

Emphasis
is a good word. Sequence is another. If I understand your question, the speakers turned things around for immediacy. They put "sentences" and "completion" in front to connect the thoughts more closely to the sentences that came before them.

So it's a matter of communication style.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you, Charlie Bernstein. :)

The original two sentences are inversions. In (a1) and (b1) I meant to rewrite them as non-inverted sentences. So:

(a1) In neither pair of sentences there is a significant difference is meaning ....

I meant to ask if the two sentences also work as the original ones. Could you tell me?

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
So I don't understand your revision in (a1) in post #2.

Do you mean this kind of sentence like (a1) cannot be rewritten as a non-inverted sentence, while sentences like (b1) can? (In post #2 you modified a1, the red part, but didn't do so on b1.)

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, Charlie Bernstein. :)

The original two sentences are inversions. In (a1) and (b1) I meant to rewrite them as non-inverted sentences. So:

(a1) In neither pair of sentences is there a significant difference is meaning ....

(b1) When I finish showing you the products you will be happy to place an order.

I meant to ask if the two sentences also work as the original ones. Could you tell me?
These two work as corrected.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
b1 is fine. In fact, I don't like the inversion in the original. It seems wrong to me.
I agree with you.

---------------

[PEU 3rd ed.]
(303.1)

If the subject is a pronoun, it goes before the verb.

Here she comes. (NOT [STRIKE]Here comes she[/STRIKE].)
Off we go!

--------------------

So "you" (a pronoun) in the following should go before "will".

The effect of the perfect aspect is to give a sense of completion to the verb phrase. On completion of my showing you the products will you be happy to place an order. [...]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.