Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I would like to ask a question regarding the differences between "one another" and "each other". Some friends and I were discussing regarding their differences when one said that "When speaking of an ordered series of events or stages, "one another" is the preferred form" and cited that in a survey conducted by the Usage Panel 70% of the panelists prefered "The waiters followed one another into the room" over "The waiters followed each other into the room", to which I said that this only shows a difference in prefered style more than an actual difference in usage. Another friend intervened with another example to back up that claim:

"Like a group of people hugging each other sounds like they're possibly in one big hug-circle.
Where a group of people hugging one another sounds like they're taking turns hugging different people
One another" sounds more like there's a sequence of actions happening, and "each other" sounds more like it's all happening at once"

So I would like to ask you all if this makes sense and if there really is such a distinction between "each other" and "one another" and what are your thoughts, as I think there isn't because they are both pretty much interchangeable and have the same meaning, if we're no counting the old rule that "each other" should be reservered when discussing 2 things and "one another" when discussing more than 2 things.

Thank you for your time

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrases are synonyms to me.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the distinction you mention is a useful one, slight though it may be, and would agree with the 70%. The 'waiters' example sentence is a good one.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I can see the case for the 70%, but wouldn't lose sleep about it. A ninety-year-old relative still swears by the distinction in the old rule you're discounting.

Status
Not open for further replies.