[Grammar] One sentence has two clause but no any conjunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Context: In many organizations, this abundance of modules, not matched by abundance of available functionality (many of the apparent variants being in fact quasi-clones), creates a huge configuration management problem, which people attempt to address through the use of complex tools. Useful as these tools may be, they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention. Better avoid redundancy than manage it.

Q1: Why "It's" is missing in front of Useful?
Q2: Why there is no conjunction in this sentence?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Useful as these tools may be, they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention

The sentence is the same as:
These tools may be useful, but they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention.

I think it is not a good sentence as the second part in such a construction is supposed to be contradictory rather than in agreement with the first - being useful and offer a cure.

It would make sense to me if is written:

Useful as these tools may be, they do not offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention

Last edited:

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, tedmc.

I think you mean to say:

It would make sense to me if [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] written:

Useful as these tools may be, they do not offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I missed the "it" there. Thanks.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I missed the "it" there. Thanks.
Then I think "It would make sense to me if it were written ..." is more reasonable. What do you think?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
By the way, you can't write or say "no any" in English. It's either "no" or it's "not any".

"no" is more common:

"there is no conjunction".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Q1: Why is "It's" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] missing in front of "Useful"?

Q2: Why is there [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] no conjunction in this sentence?
Andy, please note the correct way to ask your questions.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't have a problem with the way it's written. The writer is saying that the tools are useful but they offer a cure instead of prevention. The writer thinks the tools would be more useful if they provided a way of preventing the problem in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Andy, please note the correct way to ask your questions.

Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

I got it.

Andy Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi.
May I ask that why conjunction can be omitted in this case?

PaulMatthews

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Useful as these tools may be, they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention.

The underlined element is a concessive adjunct in the form of a preposition phrase. It can be paraphrased as "as / although these tools may be useful".

Since the adjunct is a phrase, not a clause, a conjunction is not required. There is only one independent clause, i.e. “they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention”.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Context: In many organizations, this abundance of modules, not matched by abundance of available functionality (many of the apparent variants being in fact quasi-clones), creates a huge configuration management problem, which people attempt to address through the use of complex tools. Useful as these tools may be, they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention. Better avoid redundancy than manage it.

Q1: Why "It's" is missing in front of Useful?

Nothing is missin. In a dependent clause (like the four words I just wrote), you don't need a subject (It) or verb (is).

Q2: Why there is no conjunction in this sentence?

Because it's not a compound sentence. It's a sentence that begins with a dependent clause - that is, a clause that can't stand alone because it's not a sentence.
If I were you, I'd be wondering about the last sentence, in which It's and to are understood but not written: "[It's b]etter [to] avoid redundancy than [to] manage it."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Q1: Why is "It's" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] missing in front of Useful?
Q2: Why is there [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] no conjunction in this sentence?
Please note the correct way to form a question.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I ask that why conjunction can be omitted in this case?

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Mr. Lin:

I have found some information that may interest you.

My favorite grammarian, Dr. George Oliver Curme, gives the following information about this kind of concessive clause.

1. "Bad as he is, he has some good points."

a. He says that some people now prefer the subjunctive: "Bad as he may be, he has some good points."

2. He explains that in older English, the sentence would have been: "As bad as he is, he has some good points."

3. He says that the first "as" has disappeared.

4. He says that the "as" after the "heavily stressed word ["bad"] is now felt as a concessive conjunction."

Source: Curme, A Grammar of the English Language (1931), Vol. II, page 334. (Maybe you can find his book in a good library.)

PaulMatthews

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Do you mean the 'as' above is a preposition?

Yes, modern grammar treats this "as" as a preposition (not a conjunction). The meaning is "though these tools may be useful", a PP serving as a concessive adjunct.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, modern grammar treats this "as" as a preposition (not a conjunction). The meaning is "though these tools may be useful", a PP serving as a concessive adjunct.

In what sense could this as and though be described as a preposition and not a conjunction? That's not how I and most other language teachers would describe these words. Surely, it's the other way round.

Please explain briefly the analysis leading to this view and what definition of 'preposition' you are using.

Last edited:

Andy Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Useful as these tools may be, they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention.

The underlined element is a concessive adjunct in the form of a preposition phrase. It can be paraphrased as "as / although these tools may be useful".

According to Wiki Adjunct(grammar), an adjunct is an optional part of a sentence, clause, or phrase that, if removed or discarded, will not otherwise affect the remainder of the sentence.

In the case that "
Useful as these tools may be" be concessive adjunct and discarded, the sentence would be "they offer a cure in an area where the first concern should be prevention".

This is obviously not a complete sentence since antecedent is omitted, thus I don't think it's a concessive adjunct.

I favor TheParser's answer.

Andy Lin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If I were you, I'd be wondering about the last sentence, in which It's and to are understood but not written: "[It's b]etter [to] avoid redundancy than [to] manage it."

Yes, I have this question, too. But this time I chose another.

Status
Not open for further replies.