Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : 12 graders' mockup test, April, 2022, No 39

Ore deposits represent work that nature does for us. For instance, Earth’s crust contains an average of about 55 ppm (parts per million) of copper, whereas copper ore deposits must contain about 5,000 ppm (0.5%) copper before we can mine them. Thus, geologic processes need to concentrate the average copper content of the crust by about 100 times to make a copper ore deposit that we can use. We then use industrial processes to convert copper ore into pure copper metal, an increase of about 200 times. By a fortunate coincidence, elements and materials that we use in large amounts need less natural concentration than those that we use in small amounts. Thus, we are likely to have larger deposits of mineral commodities that we use in large amounts. As long as energy costs remain high, the relation between work that we can afford to do and work that we expect nature to do will control the lower limit of natural concentrations that we can exploit, and this puts very real limits on our global mineral resources.

I don't understand the two bold sentences. What do they mean? This is a scientific writing, hard to understand.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first sentence is saying that we are lucky because the metals we use most of are most common. It connects logically to the preceding sentence and is not very difficult to understand.

The second sentence is saying that whether it's worth it for us to mine certain minerals depends on two factors: a) how much of the mineral there is, and b) how much it costs to get it out of the ground. It is a difficult sentence to understand, partly because it uses the notion of 'work' to explain the equation. The very first sentence of the paragraph is the key to understanding this.

By the way, this is not scientific writing.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please resume including ‘Korean’ in your source information.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I tried to edit it, but due to the format change, I don't know how. From the next posting, I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.