Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In this video, this woman says I have two "overreaching obligations":

Is this a gaffe? Doesn't she have to say "overarching obligations"? Or is "overreaching obligation" something that's said?

I'll take your word for what it is she said.

She seems to say "I have two overarching obligations" followed by another sentence which is entirely unintelligible.

She seems to be in a hurry to finish.

I've done some public speaking, and I always made sure everything was clear.

She does actually say "two overreaching obligations", whatever that means!

She does actually say "two overreaching obligations", whatever that means!
I thought maybe she meant to say "overarching obligations".

Nope! That's not what I hear.

I don't think so. I think she wanted to say what she said.

I don't think so. I think she wanted to say what she said.
She's reading from a paper. My bet is that she saw the word "overarching" and read it and pronounced it "overreaching."

"overreaching obligation" doesn't make any sense.

She's looking at some paper, but that doesn't mean she's reading from it.

She's looking at some paper, but that doesn't mean she's reading from it.
True, but it's a logical assumption the she is reading from that piece of paper. That seems to be what she's doing. Otherwise, why keep steadily looking at it?

As a rule, MPs speaking in the House of Commons have at least some notes, if not their entire speech, printed out. She certainly seems to be reading from the paper. Either the paper said "overarching" and she misread it as "overreaching" or that's what it actually said. We'll never know!
Priti Patel's not the sharpest tool in the box so I doubt she has any idea she made a mistake. She's also really hard to listen to because she has some strange phrasing and irritatingly doesn't prounounce the "g" at the end of any word ending "ing".

She seems to say "I have two overarching obligations" followed by another sentence which is entirely unintelligible.
What another sentence? Doesn't the video break off after "obligations"?

@teechar by "another sentence" I was reciting Tarheel, perhaps I should've put it in quotation marks.

I think Tarheel might be referring to the words that are actually the start of your clip. Because it's on a loop, it goes straight from her erroneous "I have two overreaching obligations" back to "and to make it quicker and simpler".
The clip you posted is 4 seconds long. The words you asked us about are seconds 3 and 4. It then goes straight to second 1 (which is when she says "and to make it quicker and simpler").

What other sentence? Doesn't the video break off after "obligations"?
I don't know why it would be different for me, but I heard a little more which didn't sound like words.

@teechar by "another sentence" I was reciting quoting Tarheel. Perhaps I should've put it in quotation marks.
Note the two corrections above.
The natural response to "another X" in English is to ask "What other X?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back