Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would say that the phrase 'own note' cannot stand by itself but can only be used as part of a sentence.

not a teacher

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"own note", "own folder", "own file", "own use", "own documents", "own profile"... is correct English.
I think that 'my' is needed before 'own' for it to be correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not a teacher.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
My conclusion from all inputs in this thread.

"own note", "own folder", "own file", "own use", "own documents", "own profile"... is correct English.

"my note", "my folder", "my file", "my use", "my documents", "my profile"... is correct English and is more commonly used.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

The so-called "correct English" doesn't mean very much at all. There are a lot of grammatically-correct word groups that don't carry any clear meaning to native speakers. They are effectively "wrong" expressions in my book. Don't use them if you intend to learn the language (as you indicated in your previous post).

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Just an observation that I see in this thread.

The replies from people who are English native language did not say that "own note, own ..." is wrong English. Only some mention that they prefer "my ..." instead of "own ..."

The replies from people who are Chinese native language, not a teacher, say that "own note, own ..." is wrong English. (especially the last few posts above this)

(native language as seen in Member Info)

I will follow the English native language speakers reply since English is their native language. No disrespect to anyone, I just think that English native language speakers should know English language better.

Last edited:

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Exactly. No one is saying "Own profile" would be wrong. Correctness doesn't enter into it. It's just that we tend to write "My Whatever" for this sort of thing.

What does this phrase "Correctness doesn't enter into it." means? Thanks

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Just an observation that I see in this thread.

The replies from people who are English native language did not say that "own note, own ..." is wrong English. Only some mention that they prefer "my ..." instead of "own ..."

The replies from people who are Chinese native language, not a teacher, say that "own note, own ..." is wrong English. (especially the last few posts above this)

(native language as seen in Member Info)

I will follow the English native language speakers reply since English is their native language. No disrespect to anyone, I just think that English native language speakers should know English language better.

You seem to have ignored MikeNewYork's response. He's a native English speaker and a pope!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I take it to mean 'It is not a question of whether it is correct'?

Yes. Correctness is irrelevant here. You are making a note to yourself, so it doesn't matter if somebody else can understand it or not.

:)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I rather clumsily tried to make that point in post #11.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I agree with the above post. Please read what MikeNewYork said below.
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/216951-own?p=1118220#post1118220

Not a teacher.

You seem to have ignored MikeNewYork's response. He's a native English speaker and a pope!

Ok. Noted Mike comments. So 1 native person says it is wrong English. 6 other native English speaker did not say it is wrong English.

I initially thought Mike in post #3 says he don't understand "own note", I thought mean he do not understand why would I want to used the word "own note" and not meaning that it is wrong English, so in post #5 I explained why I needed to use "own note".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is not incorrect English. I just find it strange.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
It is not incorrect English. I just find it strange.

oldbei/Matthew Wai, now is all 7 native English speakers says that "own ..." is correct English.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think they are encouraging you to use such correct but strange and uncommon English. In this thread, you are the only one to use it.

Not a teacher.

oldbei

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
oldbei/Matthew Wai, now is all 7 native English speakers says that "own ..." is correct English.

goodstudent, you haven't got our point. It looks like you have a comprehension problem in English.

Let me tell you a story. I hope it can offer you a new perspective.

I used to help an American learn Chinese. He was smart and confident. He was trying to teach himself Chinese. He studied Chinese grammar and Chinese words. And he said to me "Wo yu fan." I couldn't figure out what he was trying to say no matter how hard I tried. Then he told me he simply wanted to say "I want rice" because he found the Chinese equivalent words in his dictionary and constructed his sentence with them according to Chinese grammar. Well, the problem is we native Chinese speakers would never use the word "yu" in the context of "I want rice" although "yu" does mean "want" in Chinese! You see a "correct" sentence can mean nothing to a native speaker.

Last edited:

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I think that 'my' is needed before 'own' for it to be correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Not a teacher.

Any native English speakers would like to answer Matthew Wai's question?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Any native English speakers would like to answer Matthew Wai's question?

There are a few definitions of what could be "correct." All of the locutions, "own note", "own folder"... are fragments, and incomplete. I understand why they were called incorrect or strange. But all are very brief phrases some native speakers might use in some circumstances, for brevity. They are not correct sentences. They are natural fragments.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"own note", "own folder"
'Note' and 'folder' are singular countable nouns, so an article or a determiner is needed for them to be correct. Am I right or wrong?

"Wo yu fan."
Tell your American friend to say 'Wo yu chī fan', which means 'I want to eat rice'.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I don't think they are encouraging you to use such correct but strange and uncommon English. In this thread, you are the only one to use it.
Not a teacher.

None of the native English speakers is encouraging me to use "own ...", I did see some native English speakers say they prefer to use "my ...".
None of the native English speakers gave a firm answer that "own ..." is wrong or I should not use "own ..." or discourage me to use it.

That is why I take it as it is ok to use "own ..."

goodstudent, you haven't got our point. It looks like you have a comprehension problem in English.

Let me tell you a story. I hope it can offer you a new perspective.

I used to help an American learn Chinese. He was smart and confident. He was trying to teach himself Chinese. He studied Chinese grammar and Chinese words. And he said to me "Wo yu fan." I couldn't figure out what he was trying to say no matter how hard I tried. Then he told me he wanted to say "I want rice" because he found the Chinese equivalent words in his dictionary and constructed his sentence according to Chinese grammar. Well, the problem is we native Chinese speakers would never use the word "yu" to say "I want rice" in Chinese although "yu" does mean "want" in Chinese! You see a "correct" sentence can mean nothing to a native speaker.

I am not trying to be smart and that is why I followed native English speakers advice. My understanding from all English native speakers is that it is ok to use "own ...", but "my ..." is more commonly used.

Your example is that you are a native Chinese, and when you are teaching Chinese, you will point out that native Chinese speakers would never use the word "yu" to say "I want rice" in Chinese although "yu" does mean "want" in Chinese.

In your example, when someone is learning Chinese, a native Chinese speaker can point out the mistakes better than non native Chinese speakers. That is what I think too. So I took advice from English native speakers when I am learning English.

In my example, I am looking at the native English answers to learn English, none of them told me it is wrong or never use "own ...", so I taking as it is ok to use it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The phrase 'own notes' may not be wrong per se but it does not carry the meaning you intended i.e. that the notes belong to you.
'Own' is a determiner which means 'belonging to a particular person or thing'.
If you mean to refer to something e.g. notes under your possession, you should call it 'my own notes', which was what Matthew was trying to get at earlier on.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.