Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : EBS Reading Practice, 2023, 5-5, 58p

One of the unhelpful consequences of the term “technological unemployment” is that it encourages us to think that the only (or at least the main) way that new technologies will affect the world of work is by changing the unemployment rate — the percentage of workers in the labor market who are looking for a job and cannot find one. That figure alone, though, does not capture the full picture. To begin with, some people, facing the mismatches of skills, identity, and place, might simply give up on the job hunt and drop out of the labor market altogether. If that were to happen, the official unemployment rate would actually fall : since those people were no longer searching for work, they would not count as being unemployed for the purposes of that Statistic.
It is important, then, to also pay attention to what is known as the “participation rate”: the percentage of people in the entire working-age population (not just those active in the labor market) who are employed. In the United States today, for instance, the unemployment rate is an impressively low 3.7 percent. At the same time, however, the participation rate has collapsed, falling to its lowest level since 1977. More and more working-age Americans, it appears, are abandoning the world of work altogether — and that should be a cause for alarm. Similarly, in the future, we should be cautious about focusing exclusively on the unemployment rate, and keep an eye on the participation rate as well.

1. In the 1st thick line, the definition of "participation rate" seems to be wrong. Doesn't it have to exclude "who are employed" at the last part if it means "the employed+job seekers"?
2. In the 2nd thick line, participation rate seems to mean "the employed+job seekers", so if the number of the unemployed dropped, wouldn't the number of participation increase? But it says to the contrary.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You have misunderstood the paragraph.

I'll give a simplified example.

Imagine a country with a working-age population of 100. In that country in 2020, ninety people were employed, six were looking for work and four had dropped out of the labour market. The participation rate is 90%; the unemployment rate is 6%.

Two years later, eight-nine people were employed, four were looking for work, and seven had dropped out of the labour market. The participation rate fell to 89%; the unemployment rate fell to 4%.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've just spent nearly half an hour trying to wrap my head around this!

I believe the participation rate includes those who are in work and those who are out of work but actively seeking employment. So I agree with you that the sentence you're asking about is very misleading.

Imagine a country with a working-age population of 100. In that country in 2020, ninety people were employed, six were looking for work and four had dropped out of the labour market. The participation rate is 90%; the unemployment rate is 6%.

I'd have thought the participation rate is 96% and the unemployment rate is 6%.

Am I misunderstanding this in the same way as keannu? :unsure:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I've just spent nearly half an hour trying to wrap my head around this!

I believe the participation rate includes those who are in work and those who are out of work but actively seeking employment. So I agree with you that the sentence you're asking about is very misleading.

I'd have thought the participation rate is 96% and the unemployment rate is 6%.

Am I misunderstanding this in the same way as keannu? :unsure:

If you see the following definitions 1, 2, what you said is right. I'm still confused about why "who are employed" is used here, which seems to be a mistake of the author.
*the percentage of people in the entire working-age population (not just those active in the labor market) who are employed.

1.https://www.thebalancemoney.com/labor-force-participation-rate-formula-and-examples-3305805

2.The labor force participation rate is an estimate of an economy's active workforce. The formula is the number of people ages 16 and older who are employed or actively seeking employment, divided by the total non-institutionalized, civilian working-age population.