Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This exercise is from "English Grammar in Context" by Michael Vince. Is it possible to use d. "wrote" instead of "have written", f. "were" instead of "have been", h. "have won" instead of "won", i. "was" instead of "has always been", j. "accused" instead of "have accused", k. both "has pointed out" and "pointed out" are correct according to the book, l. "wrote" instead of "has written"?IMG_20220128_180717.jpg

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There are two points here, Rachel.

1. In your original post, you managed to ask seven questions, despite the fact that we frequently remind members to ask one question at a time. You not infrequently ask multiple questions.

2. Less than two hours after posting your original question, you told us you were going to post it in another forum. You know that we ask members not to do this. It is frustrating for us to spend time on a response only to discover that it has already received a response elsewhere.

You are free to do as you wish. I am free to ignore your questions when you show such little respect to our conventions here.

ps. This response is from 5jj the member, not 5jj the mod.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
There are two points here, Rachel.

1. In your original post, you managed to ask seven questions, despite the fact that we frequently remind members to ask one question at a time. You not infrequently ask multiple questions.

2. Less than two hours after posting your original question, you told us you were going to post it in another forum. You know that we ask members not to do this. It is frustrating for us to spend time on a response only to discover that it has already received a response elsewhere.

You are free to do as you wish. I am free to ignore your questions when you show such little respect to our conventions here.

ps. This response is from 5jj the member, not 5jj the mod.

I posted here first and I do remember being told by one of the admins that posting my question again on another forum is OK. I could have removed some parts from the exercise, but as native speakers often ask about context I didn't change the original text.
I remember posting the short version of the text that wasn't enough for native speakers to decide which tense was wrong, so one of them searched for it and actually shared the whole text just as I did on this forum. Perhaps it's time to change some of the forum rules.
Regarding this part "when you show such little respect to our conventions here". Posting the whole text has nothing to do with "showing such little respect" to the forum's conventions. On the other forum I discuss such questions privately with an admin and no one accuses me of showing little respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.