[General] People accuse me of being overly pedantic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I wrote a sentence to describe myself in teaching kids.

People accuse me of being overly pedantic, teaching kids in a mechanical way.

I wrote this sentence in a joking manner but I think the methods I teach kids are right. Usually teachers use simple materials to teach kids while I ask them to read and memorize sentences. Some sentences are long but they are useful. I also ask them to read English every day and this makes kids like a learning machine. However, they're not because I also teach them to think independently.

Is my italic sentence natural?

That's not what "pedantic" means. A pedant is overly concerned with minor details or with displaying their knowledge of such things.

Try "methodic".

If you were pedantic, you'd call them 'children' rather than 'kids'.

What about "regimented"?

Can one be overly pedantic? What's the threshold?

I wrote a sentence to describe how I kids.

People accuse me of being [STRIKE]overly[/STRIKE] pedantic, teaching kids in a mechanical way.

I wrote this sentence in a joking manner, but I think the methods I teach kids are right. Usually teachers use simple materials to teach kids, while I ask them to read and memorize sentences. Some sentences are long, but they are useful. I also ask them to read English every day, and this makes kids like [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] learning machine[FONT=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, segoe ui, Roboto, helvetica neue, Arial, noto sans, liberation sans, sans-serif, apple color emoji, segoe ui emoji, segoe ui symbol, noto color emoji]s[/FONT]. However, they're not, because I also teach them to think independently.

Is my italic sentence natural?
PITA alert: Please put commas in compound sentences so we don't have to. Thanks!

I am not a teacher.

I think "accuse" is a pretty strong word.
I'd suggest "say or think".

I also don't have a problem with "accuse" in that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back