Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Bangladesh
"The real interest of the myths is that they lead us back to a time when the world was young, and people had a connection with the earth, with trees and seas and flowers and hills, unlike anything we ourselves can feel"

Source: Mythology by Edith Hamilton, pp 13-15

what does he mean by having connection with trees and etc? and why it is interesting if world was young back then ? why cant we feel that now though we have trees seas still?

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What does he she mean by having a connection with trees and etc?
She (Edith is a female name) means that the ancient world was less urbanized/industrialized and that people lived closer to the natural environment than we do now.
and why it is interesting if the world was young back then?
By "young", she means we had not matured to the lifestyles we lead now. People's lives were simpler. Many people feel that the ancient lifestyle was more varied, less stressful, and closer to nature; thus, they believe it was more interesting than today's lifestyles.
Why can't we feel that now though we have trees and seas still?
See above.

shihab06

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Bangladesh
She (Edith is a female name) means that the ancient world was less urbanized/industrialized and that people lived closer to the natural environment than we do now.

By "young", she means we had not matured to the lifestyles we lead now. People's lives were simpler. Many people feel that the ancient lifestyle was more varied, less stressful, and closer to nature; thus, they believe it was more interesting than today's lifestyles.

See above.
i get it now, thanks for the help

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I get it now. Thanks for the help.
That's how your post should have been written, but there's no need to quote our replies back to us or to write thank-you posts.

Just click on the Like button and find the Thanks icon.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I live in a big city- we have trees in some of the streets, but I don't feel much connection to nature unless I go to a park.

Status
Not open for further replies.