Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The school started with the mathematics period. There were eight periods of different subjects. Tim would get happy when english period came around because it was his favorite subject. Tgere were five more periods to go forcthe school to get over. Tim eagerly waited for all eight periods to get over because he wanted to go back home as soon as possible.

Please check my sentences.

We don't say "a subject's period starts". We say "a subject's period comes around". Am I correct?

Do we also say "when is your maths period" or "when does your math period come around"?

Do we say "a period gets over"? Like "maths period is about to over"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Honestly, I'm not sure you need most of those instances of "period" in that piece.

The school day started with maths. The full day consisted of eight separate periods/classes, each on a different subject. Tim was always very happy when it was time for English because it was his favourite subject. English was the third class of the day so there were five more to get through before he could finally go home.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "class," not "period". They start, and they finish.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Honestly, I'm not sure you need most of those instances of "period" in that piece.

The school day started with maths. The full day consisted of eight separate periods/classes, each on a different subject. Tim was always very happy when it was time for English because it was his favourite subject. English was the third class of the day so there were five more to get through before he could finally go home.
Can I say "when english class started all students opened their books"? Or "Which class is maths?" "Its the fourth one or fourth class"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should clarify - I didn't mean that "period" wasn't correct/natural. It was simply repeated too many times in post #1.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think they are referring to post #3. (Nothing in there about British English.)

Do Americans use "period"? I think so.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
WHAT about my sentences?

I haven't reread the entire thread, but you seem to have hardly read it at all.

Your sentences in the OP don't seem natural to me. (Others may disagree.)

You might have noticed (probably not) that I said: "They start, and they finish."

Your sentences might work in the right context.

Last edited: