Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
How to transcribe words in phonemic transcription ?

For example, book /bʊk/ this is called phonetic transcription, but how to transcribe in phonemic? I could not find any websits or dictionaries that help me to transcribe words in phonemic transcription.

I find difficulty in transcribing the following words. I know with phonemic transcription the words are between slashes.

thumb, weather, deserve, knights, walked

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why do you want to do this? Has somebody asked you to do this?

The way that you have transcribed in your post the word book is an example of phonemic transcription, where each sound (phoneme) is represented by a symbol. In your example, you can see/hear that book consists of three distinct phonemes.

Last edited:

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Thank you so much.

You mentioned that my transcription of "book" was an example of phonemic, but Why it was not an example of phonetic transcription :?:

I am not asking anyone to help me to transcribe these words,but I do not know the difference between phonetic transcription and phonemic transcription.

Top [tɒp] is this phonemic transcription?

Top /tɒp/ is this phonetic transcription?

The only difference I know is that with phonetic we use brackets and with phonemic we use slashes.

Please give more example of transcribing phonemic words?

As I mentioned, I found lessons on Youtupe for phonetic transcription, but I could not find anything for phonemic transcription. Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.