Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Greetings.
I'd like to ask you if you think using 'inter alia' in a diploma thesis is appropriate or not. Dictionaries say it is 'formal', which I think is OK. But I've found some clues on the internet that it is used mostly in legal texts and my thesis is not the case. So what do you think, please? Should I use 'among other things' instead? I kind of like that phrase but to be honest - I've never encountered it before I looked it up in a dictionary so I'm afraid it may be quite rare.
Thanks for help.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Greetings.
I'd like to ask you if you think using 'inter alia' in a diploma thesis is appropriate or not. Dictionaries say it is 'formal', which I think is OK. But I've found some clues on the internet that it is used mostly in legal texts and my thesis is not the case. So what do you think, please? Should I use 'among other things' instead? I kind of like that phrase but to be honest - I've never encountered it before I looked it up in a dictionary so I'm afraid it may be quite rare.
Thanks for help.
I'd use "among other things".

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
NOT A TEACHER.

I would add that "among other things" is not the only possible translation of "inter alia," which is probably one of the reasons why the Latin expression is preferred in legal writing.

"I've studied biology, chemistry, and physics, among other subjects."

mafto

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Thank you both, so I used 'among other things' after all :)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
From my North American perspective, use Latin only if it's accepted terminology in the field you're discussing or if there's no way around using Latin (quotes, etc). Otherwise it looks pretentious.* :-(

*Others might disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.