Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello:

I am confused about the meaning of pique in the idioms of “pique one’s interest/curiosity”.

While most dictionaries define the idioms as excite/stimulate one’s interest, I have found a definition for pique in Merriam-Webster:

to excite or arouse especially by a provocation, challenge, or rebuff.

In the Choose the Right Synonym for pique section, it is also stated that PIQUE suggests stimulating by mild irritation or challenge.

I don’t understand that how a provocation, a challenge or a rebuff can get you interested.

The below are from dictionaries.
1) sly remarks to pique their curiosity. Does this mean that a person acts as if he knew a secret to get others interested in him. a provocation?
2) The programme has certainly piqued public interest in this rare bird. In what ways does it get the public interested? A provocation?
Sentence 3 is my self-made sentence.
3) I assigned students challenging exercises to pique their interest in literature. (because if I don't challenge them, students would feel bored) A challenge? Does “pique their interest” work here?

What is the connotation of “pique one’s interest”? I have done research on this expression for a whole afternoon, and I am still confused. I really appreciate it if you would she light on it. Please.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you pique somebody's interest in something you stimulate their interest. In other words, you get them interested in it.

I suggest that you don't spend a whole afternoon on one word.

(At least you didn't say "Thank you".)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
luxury, you don't appear to have found the 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons. They're in the bottom left-hand corner of every post.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
luxury, you don't appear to have found the 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons. They're in the bottom left-hand corner of every post.
I still cannot see them. I don't know why.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can pique people both positively and negatively. A challenge can make you interested as it questions what you have believed.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might notice that a lot of native English speakers spell it peek or peak.

They're wrong.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Indeed. I browsed through many threads about the difference between peek, peak and pique. This must be a common mistake.

To pique one’s interest is to arouse curiosity with a challenge. From http://writedivas.com/commonly-confused-peak-peek-and-pique/

pique one's interest" is synonymous with expanding someone's horizons by placing them in a new situation that requires unique and original thinking From https://www.englishforums.com/English/WhyFirstDefinitionPiqueArouse-Resentment/qvgph/post.htm

Would you agree with the above two definitions? Does "pique" necessarily imply a challenge ? I hope someone gives me further help.:up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed. I browsed through many threads about the difference between peek, peak and pique. This must be a common mistake.

To pique one’s interest is to arouse curiosity with a challenge. From http://writedivas.com/commonly-confused-peak-peek-and-pique/

pique one's interest" is synonymous with expanding someone's horizons by placing them in a new situation that requires unique and original thinking From https://www.englishforums.com/English/WhyFirstDefinitionPiqueArouse-Resentment/qvgph/post.htm

Would you agree with the above two definitions? Does "pique" necessarily imply a challenge ? I hope someone gives me further help.:up:

Not necessarily, although I suppose it could.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Indeed. I browsed through many threads about the difference between peek, peak and pique. This must be a common mistake. . . .
Yes, it is.

The reason is that people often hear it spoken but rarely see it in print.

And the reason for that is that we talk and listen more than we read.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This thread has become long and messy. Here are my best answers.

I am confused about the meaning of pique in the idioms of “pique one’s interest/curiosity”.

These are not idioms.

While most dictionaries define the idioms as excite/stimulate one’s interest

Yes, that's accurate enough. Also, arouse is a good verb here.

I have found a definition for pique in Merriam-Webster: to excite or arouse especially by a provocation, challenge, or rebuff.

Just forget about the bold part. It's confusing you unnecessarily.

In the Choose the Right Synonym for pique section, it is also stated that PIQUE suggests stimulating by mild irritation or challenge.

I suggest you ignore this.

1) sly remarks to pique their curiosity. Does this mean that a person acts as if he knew a secret to get others interested in him. Yes a provocation? Probably not.
2) The programme has certainly piqued public interest in this rare bird. In what ways does it get the public interested? We don't know. A provocation? Definitely not.
Sentence 3 is my self-made sentence.
3) I assigned students challenging exercises to pique their interest in literature. (because if I don't challenge them, students would feel bored) A challenge? Does “pique their interest” work here? Yes, it could work.

What is the connotation of “pique one’s interest”? I have done research on this expression for a whole afternoon, and I am still confused. I really appreciate it if you would she light on it. Please.

It's similar to 'arouse interest in somebody'.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks everyone, I owe you a lot of big likes and thanks.

Please click here and see post #23.

I have checked the post. I am sure I can not see them. The same as last time. I can only see the report post button. :oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you post a screenshot of what you see in the blue box to the left of each post? This is what it should look like:

Thank button.jpg
The relevant buttons are at the bottom although I don't think you'll be able to see the two to the left of "Report Post" which I think are for moderators only. Nonetheless, we'd like to see what you see! Make sure you're not looking at your own info box. In that, you'll only see the Report Post button (because you can't hit Thank or Like on your own posts).

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Edit: My post got Piscean confused.

I got my screenshot. However since I was unable to attach it, I tried to copy everything on my screen and pasted into this post. Still, it didn't work. So I deleted them all.