Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Which grammatical rule does the underlined sentece below use to make the proposition to be at the end of the sentence?

"These are some common factors to consider when choosing levels to trade from are listed below"

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"These are some common factors to consider when choosing levels to trade from are listed below"

The sentence you've quoted isn't grammatical. Can you see why?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
That is something up with which I will not put.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There is no rule as such. The end-position is natural and normal.

And rewriting to move it from end-position is likely to result in something unnatural.

Spiral

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which grammatical rule does the underlined sentece below use to make the proposition to be at the end of the sentence?

There is no rule that you can't put the preposition at the end of the sentence, although many English teachers insist that it's a problem. The only rule I'd follow for this is, would the sentence sound awkward if you didn't put the preposition at the end?

In your example, if we didn't put the preposition at the end, the sentence would read, "These are some common factors to consider when choosing levels from which to trade." (The red part is incorrect because you repeat are.)

Think of the difference between "It's nothing to worry about," and "It's nothing about which to worry." Which sentence sounds less awkward?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And most of the English teachers who insisted on the rule died a long time ago. Winston Churchill was laughing at the so-called rule fifty years ago.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And you can end a sentence with five prepositions (or eight if you're not too pedantic about 'Down Under' being a proper noun).

"Why did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read to out of up for?"
"Why did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read to out of about Down Under up for?"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not if it begins with why.:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And every bit as natural as the sentence with had eight times in succession. ;-)

Darryus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
And you can end a sentence with five prepositions (or eight if you're not too pedantic about 'Down Under' being a proper noun).

"Why did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read to out of up for?"
"Why did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read to out of about Down Under up for?"

What does the meaning of each sentence you provide?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You may have learned that ending a sentence with a preposition is a serious breach of grammatical etiquette. It doesn't take a grammarian to spot a sentence-ending preposition, so this is an easy rule to get caught up on (!). Although it is often easy to remedy the offending preposition, sometimes it isn't, and repair efforts sometimes result in a clumsy sentence. "Indicate the book you are quoting from" is not greatly improved with "Indicate from which book you are quoting."

Based on shaky historical precedent, the rule itself is a latecomer to the rules of writing. Those who dislike the rule are fond of recalling Churchill's rejoinder: "That is nonsense up with which I shall not put." We should also remember the child's complaint: "What did you bring that book that I don't like to be read to out of up for?"

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/prepositions.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Usage

There is a traditional view, as set forth by the 17th-century poet and dramatist John Dryden, that it is incorrect to put a preposition at the end of a sentence, as in where do you come from? or she’s not a writer I’ve ever come across. The rule was formulated on the basis that, since in Latin a preposition cannot come after the word it governs or is linked with, the same should be true of English. What this rule fails to take into account is that English is not like Latin in this respect, and in many cases (particularly in questions and with phrasal verbs) the attempt to move the preposition produces awkward, unnatural-sounding results. Winston Churchill famously objected to the rule, saying “This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.” In standard English the placing of a preposition at the end of a sentence is widely accepted, provided the use sounds natural and the meaning is clear.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/preposition

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And while we're on the subject of made-up rules that claim that they have a basis in Latin, splitting infinitives is OK. Latin infinitives don't take to, so claiming that an adverb cannot come between to and the verb is bizarre.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What does the meaning of each sentence you provide?
"What did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read to out of up for?"
What did you bring that book upstairs for? You know I don't like being read to out of it.

"What did you bring that book that I don’t like to be read
to out of about Down Under up for?"
What did you bring that book on Australia upstairs for? You know I don't like being read to out of it.
"Being read to out of a book" means that someone reads to you from a book.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What is your question, rock-onn?

Status
Not open for further replies.