[General] Please guide me and check my attempt for Precis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farhaj

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Original Passage:

Basically, psychoses and neuroses represent man’s inability to maintain a balanced or equated polarity in conducting his life. The ego becomes exclusively or decidedly one sided. In psychoses there is a complete collapse of the ego back into the inner recesses of the personal and collective unconsciouses. When he is repressed toward fulfilling some life goal and where he is further unable to sublimate himself toward another goal, man regresses into goal structures not actually acceptable to himself or to the society. Strong emotional sickness of the psychotic type is like having the shadow run wild. The entire psyche regresses to archaic, animal forms of behaviors. In less severe forms of emotional sickness there may be an accentuated and overpowering use of one of the four mental functions at the expense of the other three. Either thinking, feeling, intuiting or seeing may assume such a superior role as to render the other three inoperative. The persona may become so dominant as to create a totally one-sided ego, as in some forms of neurotic behavior. All in all, whatever the type of severity of the emotional disorder, it can be taken as a failure of the psyche to maintain a proper balance between the polarities of life. Essentially, psychoses and neuroses are an alienation of the self from its true goal of self actualization. In this sense the culture is of no consequence. Emotional disorder is not a question of being out of tune with one’s culture so much as it is of being out of tune with one’s self. Consequently, neurosis is more than bizarre behavior, especially as it may be interpreted by contemporaries in the culture. This interpretation avoids the sociological question of what is a mental disorder, since form of behavior which is acceptable in one culture may be considered neurotic in other culture. To Jung, the deviation from cultural norms is not the point. The inability to balance out personal polarities is. (Total Words 334)

My Attempt for Precis

Title= Physiological and Psychological Imbalances

Incompetency to handle the two extreme views within a character leads to psychological and physiological sickness. A selfish personality indicates the mental and emotional health of a person. Emotionally ill people do not excel in life. A lack of control over emotions makes them wild creature. The excessive reliance on any one among the senses makes them handicap personality.

Importantly, both psychological and physiological strengths help each other to achieve objectives in life. Societal values do not play any part in emotional sickness. Mental sickness frustrates a society. In orthodox societies mental sickness is considered to be a worse scenario for a man. In each society mental sickness gets different treatment according to their values. (Total words = 114 )

Dear teachers, experts of world's most privileged language please put your expert opinion on my attempt. I want to learn how to write precis as I am expecting to appear in competitive exam. Your valuable inputs will be highly appreciated.

Regards

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What was the maximum number of words allowed for your précis?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You're completely off the mark. Most, if not all, of the information in your precis does not relate correctly to the original.

Here's an exercise to start you off with this task:
Look at the original text and try to spot the key sentences. Ignore repetitive sentences as well as ones that just give more detail. Once you've done that, list them below in point form. Do not paraphrase them at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.