Native Language
English
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
A short essay – of about 500 words in English –
Giving reasons for applying for the OFID scholarship,
Explaining your educational goals, and clearly describing how you will use the experience gained from your Master's degree studies to help in the development of your home country.

I have reached a point in my professional and volunteer career where I feel I will quickly exhaust every avenue of promotion and challenge at my current academic level. Moreover, in order to bring my personal and professional plans to fruition, I will need to immerse myself in a rich academic program, specifically Public Health, focusing on Sexual Reproductive Health. The School of Health Sciences curriculum will equip me with the requisite tools to conduct quality, relevant research that focuses on contemporary Public Health issues.

My academic goal is to contribute to the public health profession through sound public health attitudes, values, concepts and ethical practices. Recognize and facilitate diversity of thought, culture, gender and ethnicity through communication and collaboration. Participate in professional development services, and educational activities that contribute to public health. Integrate and apply the crosscutting knowledge and skills (competencies) within five core public health areas of knowledge (behavioral sciences, biostatistics, epidemiology, environmental health science, and public health administration). Demonstrate advanced knowledge and skills necessary for specialized roles within public health specific to community health or environmental health. On a personal level, I do all I can to raise people’s self-esteem, and self-efficacy, gently pushing them towards viable options for their circumstances. Having been involved in so many different volunteer, and professional situations, I am able to interact and communicate effectively with people from all walks of life, creeds, cultures and backgrounds, and even have veritable strangers confide in me or seek advice, usually to a health-related matter.

With my advance knowledge and experience in real-life context, I will support my country in taking humanitarian services to the door step of the needy by establishing a society where women and youths are safe, protected, empowered and educated to eliminate all kinds of abuse through community outreaches, advocacy, and peace building initiatives. Also, to infuse health care concepts by integrating health awareness in educational programs and conducting campaigns that would lead to positive behavioral change to improved health status. I know that if the health sector is better funded, better equipped and better managed it would carry this vision towards the welfare of the needy in far flung places.

Indeed, the public health program is strenuous and demanding, but I am willing to give it my very best, in taking the work of humanitarian service to the global arena by supporting the cause of proper and sustainable health sector and this will have a positive effect on the people, because I have a solid dedication, academic ability, maturity and desire to become a public health practitioner aiming at providing the populace with direct access to health care services. Being an OFID scholar will give me the opportunity and network to develop my inherent strengths and interest into a successful career and transform my personal goals into a reality.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Quiqui, and welcome to the forum. :)
Your profile says you're in Nigeria. Is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.