Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please let us know if we are required to send something.

Is this correct? Should we use "sent" instead of "send"?

You have to use send,​ as you wrote. "To send" is an infinitive. "To sent" is meaningless.

You have to use send,​ as you wrote. "To send" is an infinitive. "To sent" is meaningless.

Please let us know if we are required to send something.

I understand this is in passive. Am I correct?

No, it is not. The subject is understood, and it is not in the passive voice.

we are required to send something.

Which tense is this? Is "required" adjective here? If not, why do we use past participle after "are".

We are required is present simple passive.

Does it mean that we can use past participle (required) in present simple? I understand "required" is adjective here. If correct, I could not understand why?

Last edited:
"Required" is not an adjective. It is part of the passive voice. The verb "are" makes it present tense.

I think it matters, but maybe that is just me.

"Required" is not an adjective. It is part of the passive voice. The verb "are" makes it present tense.

How is it passive voice. In earlier posts it was mentioned that this is not passive voice. Please explain.

Which post was it?

How is it passive voice. In earlier posts it was mentioned that this is not passive voice. Please explain.

In the sentence "We are required to do something" the "We" is being acted upon instead of doing the acting.

I think 'not in the passive voice' in post#4 refers to 'Please let us know' rather than 'we are required'.

I think 'not in the passive voice' in post#4 refers to 'Please let us know' rather than 'we are required'.

Does it mean "We are required to do something" in passive voice?

Yes. Passive voice. Active voice would be "Somebody requires us to do something".

Whether a sentence is in the passive voice or not depends on the main clause. What you had was a sentence with an active main clause and a passive dependent clause. That's an active sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back