Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Can I use 'plus' instead of 'advantage' and should it be 'fruits' or 'fruits'? I wrote the whole context.
'The beach season starts in July. This time of the year can be very uncomfortable for people but the other plus is that there is a lot of fruit that we can eat for 1-2 months. We have many sunny days. Then there is rainy weather.'

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you can say plus, but I wouldn't say the other plus unless I have mentioned one already.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

Can I use 'plus' instead of 'advantage' and should it be 'fruits' or 'fruits'? I wrote the whole context.
'The beach season starts in July. This time of the year can be very uncomfortable for people but [STRIKE]the other[/STRIKE] a plus (or "an advantage") is that there is a lot of fresh fruit that we can eat for 1-2 months. We have many sunny days. Then there is some rainy weather.'

I replaced "the other" because it is the only "plus" in the statement. I inserted "fresh" because I think you intended that as opposed to, for example, canned fruit. And I inserted "some" unless you mean that it rains continually.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You might also change "there is a lot of fruit that we can eat for 1-2 months."

Both of these are fine:

- there is a lot of fresh fruit
- there are a lot of fresh fruits

- This isn't a tweet. Spell out one or two.

- Rearrange. It sounds like it takes one or two months to eat a fruit. Better: there are a month or two when we can eat a lot of fresh fruit.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You might also change "there is a lot of fruit that we can eat for 1-2 months."

Both of these are fine:

- there is a lot of fresh fruit
- there are a lot of fresh fruits

- This isn't a tweet. Spell out one or two.

- Rearrange. It sounds like it takes one or two months to eat a fruit. Better: there are a month or two when we can eat a lot of fresh fruit.

In essays it's not recommended to write digits either, is it?
You said it sounds like it takes one or two months to eat a fruit. But I wasn't talking about a fruit I used 'for' to express duration. Or 'There is a lot of fruit that we can eat during one or two months.'

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In essays it's not recommended to write digits either, is it?

Right.

- We usually do not spell out big numbers: Most years have 365 days.

- We usually do spell out numbers that have no hyphens or commas: I saw her nineteen years ago. She gave me a hundred dollars.

There's not one agree-on way to write numbers. Different references, teachers, style guides, and editors give different advice. The most important thing is to be consistent.

You said it sounds like it takes one or two months to eat a fruit. But I wasn't talking about a fruit I used 'for' to express duration. Or 'There is a lot of fruit that we can eat during one or two months.'

Sorry. It's minor point. For does express duration, but your sentence is understandable your way. I was showing you how to make it more exact. We usually use for this way:

- I can hold my breath for three minutes.
- I can run for two miles before I start to get tired.
- He traveled around the world for eighty days.
- There are a lot of trains we can ride for a hundred miles.
- There are a lot of books we can read for a month.

I knew that wasn't how you meant to use it, so I suggested the change.
That's what I know!

Status
Not open for further replies.