Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I want my character to call an old lady. I can't use 'grandma', since my character is supposed to always be polite. I can't use 'miss' either, since I googled it and saw it is used only for young women. So, how about madame? Is it just the french translation for 'miss'? In that case, I can't use that either. What should I do?

Edit: I forgot to ask about the other way around. How should an old woman politely call a young one? Is 'daughter' fine?

Last edited:
Yes, ma'am is the polite way to address a woman. In AmE, anyway. It's the equivalent of "sir."

"Miss" can be used for a young lady.

To I have to abbreviate it (ma'am)? What if I say 'madam'?

If the old woman is his grandmother, he can call her "Grandma". There's nothing rude about it in that situation. Why would he call her "Grandma" if she weren't his grandmother?

"Ma'am" is the only way this is said in everyday American English.

Madam, as opposed to ma'am, is excessively stiff and formal. It is rarely used in AmE.

I use madam in British English, though not that many people use it nowadays.

Having lived in the USA for two years, it's natural for me to call women ma'am (pronounced 'mam') over here. None of them has ever batted an eyelid, though emsr2d2 has threatened me with violence if I call her ma'am if I ever visit her shop.

That threat still stands. Well done for remembering. ;-)

We refer to a woman who is in charge of a brothel as a "madam." So I would avoid calling any lady that. Use "ma'am."

Sir and madam are used by the police, customs and immigration officials and other central and local government officials when addressing members of the public. They are also used by some people in the service industry.

As an ex-member of one of employment groups listed above, I assure you that I didn't once call anyone "Sir" or "Madam".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back