Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi everybody,
I've got a doubt about the correct position of the adverb in a past conditional form:
They would never have found him or... They would have never found him?
Is there a rule to follow or does it depend on the stress we want to give the adverb?
i'm looking forward to your reply.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're both possible. The first is the standard form for me, so the second changes the emphasis a bit.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Clairec:

I have checked my books and the Web, and I am happy to share what I have found:

1." They would never have found him."

a. That is the usual position. The rule is easy: put the adverb after the first auxiliary.

2. "They never would have found him." This position is used when you want to emphasize "would." Say the sentence out loud

and notice how the word "would" is stressed (sounds very strong.)

3. "They would have never found him."

a. Many native speakers would have no trouble with this. When you have time, go to the "books" section of Google and

type in "would have never." You will find many examples of "good" writers using this kind of sentence.

b. But if you want to follow the "rule," then you will NOT use sentence 3. What is the rule? Well, if an adverb refers to

the complete verb ("would have found"), then you must use sentence 1. And the adverb "never" does refer to the

complete verb. It does not refer only to the past participle "found."

4. The workers would firmly have rejected the new contract.

5. The workers would have firmly rejected the new contract.

Which sentence do you think is "better"?

The answer is sentence 5.

This time we can put the word "firmly" in front of the past participle "rejected" because it DOES modify "rejected."

It answers the question: How would the workers have rejected the new contract? Answer: firmly. When you have

a "how" adverb, you may place it next to the past participle. Here is an example from a book that discusses "good"

English:" It has been confidently asserted [said]." How has it been asserted? Answer: Confidently (with confidence).

BUT you cannot put "never" in that position. Why? Because "never" is not a "how" adverb. It is a "when" adverb.

As I said, however, many native speakers break the rule and use sentence 3.

CREDITS: Modern American Usage (1980) by Wilson Follett. Pages 53 - 54.
David L.'s post on usingenglish.com on 20 March 2008.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
3. "They would have never found him."

a. Many native speakers would have no trouble with this. When you have time, go to the "books" section of Google and
type in "would have never." You will find many examples of "good" writers using this kind of sentence.

b. But if you want to follow the "rule," then you will NOT use sentence 3. What is the rule? Well, if an adverb refers to the complete verb ("would have found"), then you must use sentence 1. And the adverb "never" does refer to the complete verb. It does not refer only to the past participle "found."
If a lot of 'good' writers use this kind of sentence, then I wonder by what authority the people who say that you 'must' use another construction issue their diktats.

These apparently self-appointed authorities, the sort of people who forbid you to casually split an infinitive, or who claim that a preposition is something you must never end a clause with, are not people I have much time for.

Status
Not open for further replies.