Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
On the camera feed from the living room, Jack sees the man and woman sitting at the dinner table eating dinner.

Jack fast-forwards a bit.

Now the man and woman sit on the couch watching TV.

(I wrote this)

Is the position of 'now' appropriate in the sentence or would you place it after 'woman'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's OK at the beginning, but I'd say 'are sitting'.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As 5jj has suggested, there's an important semantic difference between 'sit' (an active verb) and 'be sitting' (a stative verb). The first means 'going from a standing position to a seated position'. I don't think you mean that, right?

Anyway, what is this sentence? Is a stage direction for a screenplay? If so, the word 'now' is out of place. What exactly do you mean by 'now'?

Topstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
As 5jj has suggested, there's an important semantic difference between 'sit' (an active verb) and 'be sitting' (a stative verb). The first means 'going from a standing position to a seated position'. I don't think you mean that, right?

Anyway, what is this sentence? Is a stage direction for a screenplay? If so, the word 'now' is out of place. What exactly do you mean by 'now'?
Screenplay. Jack is watching footage from a house where a crime takes place later. He fast-forwards the footage, so I use 'now' to tell what's on screen at the moment he has fast-forwarded to.