[Grammar] predicate adjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemaliroula

Member Type
Other
I am really confused please help if possible. I have three sentences and I have to say which one has a predicate adjective. I think a predicate adjective exists in the three sentences mentioned below. If I am wrong please correct and explain my misunderstanding of the concept.
1-The scientist is he.
2-The scientist was strong.
3-The scientist was a gerat inventor.
Thank you again for your help.

I am really confused please help if possible. I have three sentences and I have to say which one has a predicate adjective. I think a predicate adjective exists in the three sentences mentioned below. If I am wrong please correct and explain my misunderstanding of the concept.
1-The scientist is he.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, Chemaliroula.

#2. The scientist was strong. = a so-called predicate adjective

because "strong" is an adjective that describes "the scientist."

The scientist is he. = predicate pronoun (because "he" is a pronoun).
The scientist was a great inventor.= predicate noun (because "inventor" is a noun).

Have a nice day!

Also, it could be helpful if you wrote what was your understanding of the concept. I believe it would be easier to explain if you did.

And please be patient- there are many posts and it's voluntary, so please just wait for an answer.

1-The scientist is he.

What are the predicates in the three sentences?

- is he
- was strong
- was a great inventor

Predicate adjective -- What is it? It is a verbal complement that comes after certain verbs (linking verbs). IF you take away a verb and in its vacant slot you insert an equasion mark, and if the equasion is correct, then you have a linking verb. Linking verbs subcategorize an internal complement that traditionalists call a subject complement. A subject complement can be of two types regarding its categorial status: adjective (phrase), noun (phrase)
Let us look at the three complements:

- he
- strong
- a great inventor

he = noun, right?
strong? Adjective!
a great inventor? nominal phrase

In our quest to find a pred. adj., only 'strong' deserves our attention because it is the only adj.
Let us look at the second sentence again:

The scientist was strong.
The scientist = strong

Is 'strong' predicated of 'the scientist'? Yes! --> is = linking verb; strong = adj. --> strong = predicate adjective.
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back