[Grammar] Present Perfect in this sentence: I've searched the internet for more information

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogdanR

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I watched a video where explained this sentence and she said that this sentence not only suggest that in the present I don't search anymore for that information but also I didn't find the information I need.

From my point of view the sentence only say that I don't search anymore in the present but not say if I found it or not in the past. Am I right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I heard this sentence on its own, I would think that the speaker probably didn't get the information.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I watched a video where a woman explained this sentence, and she said that this sentence not only suggests that in the present I don't search anymore for that information but also that I didn't find the information I need.

From my point of view the sentence only says that I don't search anymore in the present but does not say whether I found it or not in the past. Am I right?
Is this the sentence?: I've searched the internet for more information.

1. It tells us that you're not searching now. You might continue your search as soon as you're done telling me your progress.

Anymore would mean you will never search again. The sentence doesn't say that.

2. You're right. It does not say whether you have found more information. It just says that you have searched:

- I have searched. Here's what I learned: . . .
- I have searched. I learned nothing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I watched a video where explained this sentence and she said that this sentence not only suggests that in the present I don't search anymore for that information but also I didn't find the information I need.

From my point of view the sentence only say that I don't search anymore in the present but not say if I found it or not in the past. Am I right?

The key word here is suggests.

Regarding the semantics of the sentence in isolation, you cannot say that it means you did or did not find any information. It could be used in both ways.

However, it is likely that this is used in a context where the speaker did not find any information. That's the point that the woman in the video is making.

Status
Not open for further replies.