Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Having good experience in this domain propelled me to a higher position in this company."

Is the usage of "propel" correct in this sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends. Did you get propelled to a higher position from a lower position in this company, or do you mean that you were employed at a higher position in this company due to your experience at another company?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It depends. Did you get propelled to a higher position from a lower position in this company, or do you mean that you were employed at a higher position in this company due to your experience at another company?
Emsr2d2 Thank you for your response.
Yes, I meant the first one.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
If you mean grammatically, yes, it is.

But the appropriate word is often determined by the overall context and the entire sentence.

Your sentence as a whole, though grammatical, doesn't strike me as very natural.

I'd put it much more simply.
My [extensive] experience in this domain helped me get promoted.
My [extensive] experience in this domain ensured that I moved up quickly.

I wouldn't use the word "propelled" there. Use simple English and you're much more likely to sound fluent and natural.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I meant the first one.
OK but did you already have experience from a previous job or were you promoted solely because of the experience you'd gained since starting at "this" company?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Once again, hello, and many thanks. (I don't know how to mention everyone, but I do hope that whoever responded can read this.)
I was watching a video on YouTube. That YouTuber (from the UK) makes videos about motivation, careers, and other topics. When he used that line with the word "propel" he was talking about his experience, and I understand In this context it won't really sound conversational ,however I would like to know if it's used in a way that the YouTuber did ( kind of motivational, philosophical) will it be correct or still sound unnatural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Concealedpersona You don't need to mention anyone in your responses. If you find a response helpful, add the "Thanks" icon to it. You can find that by putting your cursor over the "Like" button and choosing "Thanks" from the options that pop up.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Concealedpersona You don't need to mention anyone in your responses. If you find a response helpful, add the "Thanks" icon to it. You can find that by putting your cursor over the "Like" button and choosing "Thanks" from the options that pop up.
Thank you, I will keep that in mind
Once again, hello, and many thanks. (I don't know how to mention everyone, but I do hope that whoever responded can read this.)
I was watching a video on YouTube. That YouTuber (from the UK) makes videos about motivation, careers, and other topics. When he used that line with the word "propel" he was talking about his experience, and I understand In this context it won't really sound conversational ,however I would like to know if it's used in a way that the YouTuber did ( kind of motivational, philosophical) will it be correct or still sound unnatural?
Please reply : )

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Having good experience in this domain propelled me to a higher position in this company."

It is grammatically correct. (See post #6.)

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is grammatically correct. (See post #7.)
I understand its grammatically correct,
But I am talking about this part.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Concealedpersona
My mistake. I should have said, "See post #6" where I said "In American English we would say it helped with getting a promotion."

Would I use "propel" the way that so-called motivational speaker did? No, I would not.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Concealedpersona
My mistake. I should have said, "See post #6" where I said "In American English we would say it helped with getting a promotion."

Would I use "propel" the way that so-called motivational speaker did? No, I would not.
You do not have to call him "so-called motivational speaker".

Status
Not open for further replies.