... put them back in a cupboard lower down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

If she had put them lower down in the same cupboard, the writer would have said "
She had time to take things out of a cupboard, look at them, and then put them back lower down in the cupboard".
Or '... put them back on a lower shelf in the cupboard'.

To kadioguy.

I think the posts numbered 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11, and, 12 have cleared up your confusion. Please forget my analysis. ;-)

Last edited:
Alice was falling. "She had time to take things out of a cupboard, look at them, and then put them back in a cupboard lower down."

She took them from one cupboard, looked at them as she continued to fall, and then put them back in a second cupboard which was lower down than the first.

If she had put them lower down in the same cupboard, the writer would have said "
She had time to take things out of a cupboard, look at them, and then put them back lower down in the cupboard".

I see. Yes, I didn't think of a second cupboard. That makes more sense.

So if it means in a cupboard [which was] lower down, then I would think this is even more reason to think of lower down as adjectival, not adverbial, since it describes the position of the cupboard more than the putting. I don't know. I suppose you could probably analyse it in different ways.

Again, let's wait for an expert answer because it's likely that I'm completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back