Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Lee Sam-Sik, a researcher of the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, said in a report on the nation's abortion rate that married women aged between 15 and 44 become pregnant an average of 2.99 times. However, 0.77 of the time, the fetuses are aborted.

I just found this paragraph on a book and

1. Does the paragraph sound natural and grammatically correct?

2.I am not sure if it's correct to use 'the time' in "0.77 of the time" to mention '2.99 times' in the previous sentence.

3. If I paraphrase the paragraph" married women aged between 15 and 44 become pregnant an average of 2.99 times. However, 0.77 of the time, the fetuses are aborted"

like "married women aged between 15 and 44 have an average of 2.99 pregnancies, of which 0.77 ends in abortion." Does it sound idiomatic and grammatically correct?

Thanks in advance :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Lee Sam-Sik, a researcher of the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, said in a report on the nation's abortion rate that married women aged between 15 and 44 become pregnant an average of 2.99 times. However, 0.77 of the time, the fetuses are aborted.

I just found these sentences in a book ... Always tell us the title and author of any book you quote from.

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance. :)[/STRIKE]
Please thank us after you get a reply by clicking on the Thank button in the bottom left-hand corner of every post you find helpful, and don't use home-made smileys to replace standard punctuation marks.

Lemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please thank us after you get a reply by clicking on the Thank button in the bottom left-hand corner of every post you find helpful, and don't use home-made smileys to replace standard punctuation marks.

I see.

This book is titled "News English Powerdic" written by two Korean authors about English writing. In the book, the author translated "한국보건사회연구원의 이삼식 연구원은 한국의 낙태비율에 관한 보고서에서 15세에서 44세의 결혼한 여성이 평균 2.99번 임신을 했으며 그 중 0.77번 낙태를 했다고 밝혔다" into "Lee Sam-sik, a researcher ~ aborted." I just didn't mentioned the title because it's a Korean book and hard to find on the Internet.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Answered here.

Thread closed to save our members' time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.