[Grammar] questions about passive voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddy

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there,

I am teaching passive voice now. One quick question. If we have the "Dative Verb" in the sentence, usually we can transfer it into two passive sentences.
For example, I sent a card to Mary.=A card was sent to Mary by me.=Mary was sent a card by me.

However, I made a cake for Mary.=A cake was made for Mary by me.
Is it okay to say "Mary was made a cake by me?" One of my grammar book says it’s not okay. There is only one passive sentence when Dative Verbs followed by "for."

Is it really so?

Rudy

shoaib 1

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi there,

I am teaching passive voice now. One quick question. If we have the "Dative Verb" in the sentence, usually we can transfer it into two passive sentences.
For example, I sent a card to Mary.=A card was sent to Mary by me.=Mary was sent a card by me.

However, I made a cake for Mary.=A cake was made for Mary by me.
Is it okay to say "Mary was made a cake by me?" One of my grammar book says it’s not okay. There is only one passive sentence when Dative Verbs followed by "for."

Is it really so?

Rudy
Only the first one is correct.
Normally, it is not correct to use an indirect object(the one without which a sentence can have a meaning.e.g. Mary) as a subject in passive voice.The direct object should be used as a subject while converting to passive voice.e.g. 'card' and 'cake'

Status
Not open for further replies.