Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Any errors with this sentence:

Through numerous practice and studying, I finally aquired the skill to create web page layout using CSS.

Does the word "practice" need a "s" at the end.

Often I found it hard to determine if a word as only a singular form. Nouns such as effort, information, rice, justice, advice can be tricky. For example, if a noun has only a singular form because it's uncountable, without knowing it I add a "s" at the end. The present tense verb form following the subject would also be incorrect. I learn from experience that if a sentence sounds smooth and floats accordingly without any awkwardness. It is usually fine. However, this isn't always the case. So anyone knows better techniques to deals with this issue/problem without having to look up words in the dictionary all the time. Please Help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Any errors with this sentence:

Through numerous practice and studying, I finally aquired the skill to create web page layout using CSS.

Does the word "practice" need a "s" at the end.

Often I found it hard to determine if a word as only a singular form. Nouns such as effort, information, rice, justice, advice can be tricky. For example, if a noun has only a singular form because it's uncountable, without knowing it I add a "s" at the end. The present tense verb form following the subject would also be incorrect. I learn from experience that if a sentence sounds smooth and floats accordingly without any awkwardness. It is usually fine. However, this isn't always the case. So anyone knows better techniques to deals with this issue/problem without having to look up words in the dictionary all the time. Please Help.
"Through much practice and studying, I finally acquired the skill to create web page layout using CSS."
That would save changing both 'practice' and 'studying', neither of which works with 'numerous'.
No, there's no easy way, except learning by experience.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's an ugly lacuna or fault with our language. Personally I just add a lower-case 's,' for example: NSAIDs, 1980s.... a lot of people use an apostrophe when there's already a final s, as in Isis' story, Moses' journey, etc.

Here I would just expand the abbreviation: cascading style sheets.

Status
Not open for further replies.