Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

The following link I found is about the 9 most common pronunciation mistakes, but I found a lot poeple speak this way, even some English native speakers also do so, for example, when speaking fast they say "Fur" instead of "for", "R" for "Our", "jist" for "just"...

http://www.greatvoice.com/voice-over-articles/how-to-avoid-the-9-most-common-pronunciation-mistakes.php

Especially the second and the third one , I don't quite understand, as follows:

2. “T” AND “D” ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE

Do you say “qualiDY” instead of “qualiTy”? Or “diTn’t” for “diDn’t”?

3. THE MURDEROUS SWITCHEROO

Substituting AXE for ASK. Think about it: “I will AXE him if he wants to come.” With an invitation like that, he will probably decline.

My question is that the first three groups of words I listed at the very beginning of the post are easy to understand, but aren't they quite common in spoken English (fur, r, and jist), is their pronunciation wrong? Why?

For the highlighted part, that is the second and third one, I can't understand how can people mispronounce the words like quality and ask, moreover, qualidy and axe are not correct, either, isn't axe a kind of tool?

Our teacher once said in class that the second d in didn't should pronounce as the t sound in spoken English , I don't get it. I can't and don't have the awareness to pronounce that way. Can you also explain?

Thank you very much!

:)

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Susan Berkley is making money out of training people to speak in the way that she considers to be correct. I have no problem with this, and if you want to make money doing voice-overs in America, follow her advice. However, what she considers to be a mistake is not necessarily what most of us do,
Do you say “qualiDY” instead of “qualiTy”?
In some AmE and CanE dialects, /t/ is voiced in certain positions, sounding very much like /d/. This is not 'uneducated'

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Likewise, not all dialects make a distinction between the letter "r", the word "are" and the word "our." (And sometimes even "hour.")

Unless I am adding emphasis, I don't say "our" any different from "are."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Susan Berkley is making money out of training people to speak in the way that she considers to be correct. I have no problem with this, and if you want to make money doing voice-overs in America, follow her advice. However, what she considers to be a mistake is not necessarily what most of us do,In some AmE and CanE dialects, /t/ is voiced in certain positions, sounding very much like /d/. This is not 'uneducated'

That's a very measured/sane reponse ;-) Personally, I find this sort of site depressing :-(

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
That's a very measured/sane reponse ;-) Personally, I find this sort of site depressing :-(

b

Thank you. Although I didn't see the article of that website on a high plane of criticism or whatever as you and others do, I am still quite glad that you have the same feeling. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.