Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
"Quick frowzy judges box the limp van.". Is the sentence grammatically correct? Thanks in advance.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Who wrote it?

Last edited by a moderator:

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
It's grammatically correct but incredibly contrived (nearly nonsensical). A comma should be added between "quick" and "frowzy."

The sentence looks like it was designed to use all letters of the English alphabet using as short a sentence as possible.

If I'm right about the author's intention, this sentence wildly succeeds. I checked, and it includes all 26 letters while using correct grammar and real words, with a total of just 30 letters.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Quick, frowzy judges box the limp van." no full stop here Is the sentence grammatically correct?

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the Thank button.

Note my corrections above. When a full stop appears inside quotation marks, don't put another one after the closing quotation mark. Also, please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread, and should contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Title such as "Grammar" (your original) are completely useless.

Also remember that you must tell us the source and author of any text you post here if you did not write it yourself.

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
I write the sentence.But I was not sure whether it is correct.however the van is toy made of clay

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
You are absolutely right. I write the sentence to be used as a pangram.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] wrote the sentence no full stop here but I was not sure whether it is correct. space after a full stop

However, the van is toy made of clay.

I have no idea what your final sentence above means.

You are absolutely right. I [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] wrote the sentence to be used as a pangram.

Thank you very much. [STRIKE]Sir[/STRIKE]

Please don't refer to users here as "Sir". It is overly formal and suggests you assume the user is male.

Paramah Sungelee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritius
Current Location
Mauritius
The 'van' in the sentence is a toy made of clay.That's why it is a limp van.

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Justifying your choice of words doesn't help at all because the sentence will remain ridiculous and unclear regardless of explanation. But as a pangram, it's great. Well done.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The 'van' in the sentence is a toy made of clay. space after a full stop That's why it is a limp van.

Most pangrams don't make sense. There's no point carefully explaining what you meant by "limp van" without explaining what "quick frowzy judges" are or how, indeed, they could "box" a van (toy or otherwise).

In post #9, I clearly showed you that you must put a space after a full stop. You then wrote post #10 and failed to put a space after the full stop. We need to see that you are taking notice of our advice. If we have to keep making the same corrections over and over again, we will quickly tire of helping you.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you very much. [STRIKE]Sir[/STRIKE].
You don't appear to have found the Thank button yet.

It's in the bottom left-hand corner of every post (except your own).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, I was impressed by the pangram. It is grammatically correct and, within the context of pangrams, makes sense. I, a native speaker, have tried my hand at pangrams over the years and have never managed a better one in only thirty letters.

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Yes, I hope our comments didn't make you feel bad about it. I've never seen a better pangram that short! The fact that you wrote it even without being fluent or a native speaker is doubly impressive.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I prefer the age-old pangram - The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. It rhymes, is easy to register, and makes more sense. I believe you borrowed the first two words from there.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It doesn't rhyme.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's grammatically correct but incredibly contrived (nearly nonsensical). A comma should be added between "quick" and "frowzy."

The sentence looks like it was designed to use all letters of the English alphabet using as short a sentence as possible.

If I'm right about the author's intention, this sentence wildly succeeds. I checked, and it includes all 26 letters while using correct grammar and real words, with a total of just 30 letters.

That's fewer letters than the standard Quick brown fox sentence. :up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, it is. Paramah has been working on this project for almost four months. (link)

He should have opened with this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.