Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
RE: I Am and/or I'm

Hi folks,

I have been wondering for some time if it is permissible to have I Am and I'm within the same sentence. I ask because I believe the former to be formal and the latter informal.

For example:

I am very hard working and completely reliable, plus I'm extremely confident I'm able to provide an excellent service at all times.

I am very hard working and completely reliable, plus I am extremely confident I am able to provide an excellent service at all times.

This has a kinda' interview/resumé vibe to it which I hope helps to illustrate my question.

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

Re: I Am and/or I'm

[STRIKE]Hi folks.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

I have been wondering for some time if it is permissible to have I am and I'm within the same sentence. I ask because I believe the former to be formal and the latter informal.

For example:

I am very hard-working and completely reliable, plus I'm extremely confident. I'm able to provide an excellent service at all times.

I am very hard-working and completely reliable, plus I am extremely confident. I am able to provide an excellent service at all times.

This has a [STRIKE]kinda'[/STRIKE] kind of interview/resumé vibe to it, which I hope helps to illustrate my question.

[STRIKE]Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

[STRIKE]Best,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

[STRIKE]Paul David Seaman (UK)[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. We can see your username and that's what we use on the forum.

Please note my comments (in blue) and corrections (in red) above.

In a resumé, I wouldn't use "I'm" at all. In an interview, I might start off using "I am" until I got an idea of how informal or otherwise the situation is. Some interviewers will require formal language throughout. Some will quickly make it clear (from their own language) that it's OK to be a little less formal. Either way, I wouldn't use both "I am" and "I'm" in the same sentence.

I have an overwhelming hatred of the word "plus" when either "and" (in a longer sentence) or "Also" (at the start of a new sentence) would suffice.

In a resumé, I wouldn't use "I'm" at all. In an interview, I might start off using "I am" until I got an idea of how informal or otherwise the situation is. Some interviewers will require formal language throughout. Some will quickly make it clear (from their own language) that it's OK to be a little less formal. Either way, I wouldn't use both "I am" and "I'm" in the same sentence.

I apologise for not making my question crystal-clear.

The above scenario is not an attempt at trying to emulate a physical face-to-face interview, but rather a written (ie. non-verbal) application-form (eg. seeking employment), or similar. Therefore: "...Some will quickly make it clear (from their own language)..." does not enter into the equation.

I have an overwhelming hatred of the word "plus" when either "and" (in a longer sentence) or "Also" (at the start of a new sentence) would suffice.

OK, point taken.

Hi folks,

I have been wondering for some time if it is permissible to have I Am and I'm within the same sentence.

Yes.

I ask because I believe the former to be formal and the latter informal.

I'm is always informal. I am might be formal or informal, depending on context.

For example:

I am very hard working and completely reliable, plus I'm extremely confident I'm able to provide an excellent service at all times.

I am very hard working and completely reliable, plus I am extremely confident I am able to provide an excellent service at all times.

This has a kind of interview/resumé vibe to it which I hope helps to illustrate my question.

In a spoken interview, I'm is absolutely fine. In a written résumé or CV, always use I am. In an email, I'm is generally fine.

In a typed or printed business letter or memo, it depends on the situation. For instance, I'd use I'm in a cover letter but not in a formal report.

Many thanks [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE] for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)
You're welcome!

In a different context, I would see no problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back