[Grammar] RE: Placement of 'ALSO' in a sentence (help?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
RE: Placement of 'ALSO' in a sentence (help?)

Hi folks,

I would be very grateful if someone might be able, please, to confirm which of the following two sentences is correct with regards to the placement of the word "also":

"He and Splint also had to deal with: no T.V., no radio, no books or Playboy, and only one visitation per three months."

"He and Splint had to also deal with: no T.V., no radio, no books or Playboy, and only one visitation per three months."​

Once again, the context my story in progress relating to two soon to be released convicts in a U.S. jail.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul (UK)

Re: Placement of 'ALSO' in a sentence (help?)

Also is correct in the first sentence.

Write every three months.

Not a teacher.

"He and Splint also had
to deal with: no T.V., no radio, no books or Playboy, and only one visitation per three months."

A couple of suggestions.

I think it's fair to say that the abbreviation TV is universally accepted and that the full stops are unnecessary. In fact, it's difficult to find any examples of T.V. at all.
http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?hardm=1&0&l=0&p=2&q=t.v.

I would delete the colon after "with". I feel the sentence reads naturally without it.

For example.
His diet obliged him to have no fats, no sweets, no alcohol or fruit juice, and only a small amount of seafood each week.

I'm not recommending the diet.

"He and Splint also had to deal with: no T.V., no radio, no books or Playboy, and only one visitation per three months."

A couple of suggestions.

I think it's fair to say that the abbreviation TV is universally accepted and that the full stops are unnecessary. In fact, it's difficult to find any examples of T.V. at all.
http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?hardm=1&0&l=0&p=2&q=t.v.

I would delete the colon after "with". I feel the sentence reads naturally without it.

For example.
His diet obliged him to have no fats, no sweets, no alcohol or fruit juice, and only a small amount of seafood each week.

Hi Jmurray,

I appreciate the help.

The reason why I wrote 'T.V.' with the full stops is because I was told/taught that one should strive for consistency throughout a piece of writing. For example, the story contains many uses of the abbreviation 'U.S.' (ie. America). And so I used periods right across the board. I am not saying you are incorrect though, nor that I myself is correct (in this particular instance).

With the colons, I was told/taught that they should be used to prepare (the reader) for a list. I have just fallen into the habit of using them! However, I can see that they may be more fitting within a piece of writing that is (say) of an instructional/method type, rather than within the fictional writing genre.

Paul

Last edited:

I would say that both sentences are correct but the meanings are different.

This sentence implies that other people have had these restrictions and now they must suffer them as well.

"He and Splint had to also deal with: no T.V., no radio, no books or Playboy, and only one visitation per three months."

This sentence implies that "He and Splint" have had some restrictions applied to them already but now they have additional ones added.

I would say that both sentences are correct but the meanings are different.

This sentence implies that other people have had these restrictions and now they must suffer them as well.

Thanks Lynxear,

Very interesting!

I will go with the top answer, thanks.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back