Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

I am going to the auto gallery tomorrow to buy a car.
2-I am going to the auto gallery to buy a car tomorrow.

I feel a little confused about whether or not there is any difference in meaning between the two sentences above. I may be thinking in my own language when trying to explain it to you, but here's what I'm thinking:

The first one is that it is obvious that I am going to the auto gallery tomorrow and will be getting a car there.
The second one is that it is not clear when I am going to the gallery. Maybe I am going there now, but it is clear that I am purchasing a car there tomorrow.

Can you please tell me if there is any difference between the two? If so, can you explain it to me? Which sentence sounds better to you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The first one is that it is obvious that I am going to the auto gallery tomorrow and will be getting a car there.
The second one is that it is not clear when I am going to the gallery. Maybe I am going there now, but it is clear that I am purchasing a car there tomorrow.
Without evidence to the contrary, the second will be interpreted in the same way as you have interpreted the first.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that BrE doesn't use "auto gallery". We use "car showroom".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or automobile dealership.

And if you are sure you are going to buy a car there you must be confident that you can make a good deal.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could even begin the sentence with 'tomorrow', and have no change in meaning. It would put a bit more emphasis on the time frame, but it wouldn't alter the meaning.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or automobile dealership.

And if you are sure you are going to buy a car there you must be confident that you can make a good deal.
We also use "car dealership" in BrE.
You could even begin the sentence with 'tomorrow', and have no change it meaning. It would put a bit more emphasis on the time frame, but it wouldn't alter the meaning.
Bear in mind, Ademoglu, that if you start with "Tomorrow", you'll need a comma after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.