result in improved mental health and functioning and reductions in hospitalisation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
These programmes do not require homeless participants with mental illness to be “housing ready” with treatment before getting their first home and provide housing with intensive and flexible mental health support. Studies in Europe and North America have shown Housing First programmes result in improved mental health and functioning and reductions in hospitalisation for mental health problems.
Source: The Lancet

Do you think the first "and" is necessary in the phrase "result in improved mental health and functioning and reductions in hospitalisation"?

The phrase seems to mean "result in improved A, B and C (A=mental health; B=mental functioning; C=reductions in hospitalisation for mental health)".
If so, the first "and" seems necessary. I am not very sure.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I read it as:
Studies in Europe and North America have shown Housing First programmes result in (1) improved mental health and functioning and (2) reductions in hospitalisation for mental health problems.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The phrase seems to mean "result in improved A, B and C (A=mental health; B=mental functioning; C=reductions in hospitalisation for mental health)".

I read it like that too.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Both are possible for me.

Status