Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi, everyone!

Would you say: "I know you did it," said Sam, his eyes riveted to Maggie's nervous face. or "I know you did it," said Sam, his eyes riveted on Maggie's nervous face. ?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only the second, unless Sam and Maggie are victims of a particularly nasty metalworker.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Only the second, unless Sam and Maggie are victims of a particularly nasty metalworker.

With all respect, riveted to sounds fine to me.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am beginning to suspect that blueskies is not the native-speaking Canadian academic that he/she pretends to be.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Neither sounds right to me in regard to faces. In the right context, I'd use "rivetted onto".
Note the BrE/AusE spelling. This doubling of a letter is omitted in a lot of similar words in AmE.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
In the right context, I'd use "rivetted onto".

To mean being attached by a rivet, I would also tend to use "onto something", although "to something" sounds okay to me.

The straps were riveted (on)to the roof.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My tuppence worth: I wouldn't use riveted at all, but if I did, I'd probably say riveted to Maggie's face.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Words ending in '-el' are an exception to the general rule in BrE.
rivalled/rivaled - doesn't end in -el. Nor does devilled, which I've already given.
http://grammarist.com/spelling/rival

When I tried to find 'riveted', eight dictionaries were listed. None appeared for 'rivetted'. The score in the 'fidgeted' vs 'fidgetted' match was 13:2.
So, 2 out of 15 uses of fidgetted/fidgeted used a double t. I would be more impressed with your argument if it were 0 out of 15.

Incidentally, the forms with two ts are marked as incorrect as I type this.
I've already given https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rivetted
I'll add "verb (used with object), riveted, riveting or (especially British) rivetted, rivetting."
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/rivetting

I don't want to argue about this; it's not worth it. I was only giving information. I was not arguing that the correct spelling used the double letters, only that in many cases, the doubled letters are still considered valid spellings.
So, I'll retract the assertion that BrE uses the doubled letters, and instead will assert that there are legitimate minority spellings (of this sort) that are used less often in AmE.

About the red lines under words, that would be a function of the word list that this editor uses. I get red lines under all the "our" words, such as honour, favour, humour. You're not going to tell me that this means they are spelled/spelt wrongly, are you? (Red line under 'spelt' as well, despite it being accepted by Oxford Dictionary).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.