Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
UK
Can we say in English: "His eyes were so round as if he understood nothing of what I was saying." ?

If not, is there another facial sign for not-understanding that is common in literature?

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Same in AmE, it doesn't carry the idea of not understanding.

We do say 'glassy eyed' to sometimes convey an expression of non-comprehension.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
As a first language English speaker (but not a Teacher) I would agree with the previous comments. It doesn't work in In BrE. We have something similar to the AmE suggestion of "glassy eyed". We would say that someone's eyes "glazed over" as we were talking to them. In this context it would be a sign that either they were bored and had lost interest, or that the conversation was beyond their comprehension.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

… is there another facial sign for not-understanding that is common in literature?

Perhaps: My attempt to explain the situation was met with a blank expression.

However, I feel that this example, along with others that have been suggested, probably needs further explanation to make the meaning clear. Phrases like "blank expression", "furrowed brow", "glassy-eyed" could all mean incomprehension, but could also represent, in order, boredom, worry, exhaustion etc.

For example, "My attempt to explain the situation was met with a blank expression / furrowed brow / glazed look, he seemed to understand nothing of what I was saying".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If someone doesn't really understand what you're saying but they're trying hard to make sense of it, they might frown with concentration. The person might look like this.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm, that seems more like a "I'm considering smacking you for that comment" sort of look. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.