Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why did you use "state" instead of "stated"? Did you want to emphasize that I will still hold the same opinion, rather than the the time point in the past when I said that?

I used the present tense because I was thinking of your statement as existing in the present. It presently exists in written form in post #1.

[Update]
I discussed it with a friend, who is a native speaker, and he said:

I would personally use "stated." I would assume they used "state" because the reasons are true now and they were back then, but I personally find it somewhat odd, as I liken it to say "...for precisely the reasons you write in your first question." which obviously doesn't work.

There's nothing odd about ... for the reasons you state in your first question. As I said, your statement presently exists (in written form) at the top of the thread.

So in your opinion the dialog box above can also be "tedmc says:"?

Yes, exactly right.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I wouldn't.
The bold bits don't match your interpretation of there being only one specific past occasion.
I've got it. This version would be okay: :)

Sartorially speaking, my philosophy is the opposite of fast fashion. I'm an adherent of wear-it-until-it-falls-off-your-body. Sometimes this brings marital discord. I remember one time: “You are not going out in that,” said my wife, Jocasta, as she inserted a wriggling finger into various holes in my T-shirt.

“That's air-conditioning,’ I responded as I defiantly headed out the door.

Or sometimes she'll say: "I can actually see your underwear through those jeans. You are an outrage to public decency.”

To which I/I'll reply: “Yes, but I can wear these jeans at least seven or eight more times. And if it gives others a thrill....”

Last edited: