Scotland is the only country in the world where the top selling drink is not Coca

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Scotland is probably the only country in the world where the top selling drink is not Coca Cola. A local product called Irn-Bru continues to sell in larger quantities than most of its big multinational competitors. Written by a non-native English speaker.

Is it possible to use 'whose' instead of 'where' in the first sentence? I think that it is (provided there wouldn't be 'the' after it: ...whose top selling drink is not Coca Cola), but I'm not sure.

Is it possible to change 'most' to 'many' or 'majority' in the second sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Whose" doesn't work. Scotland is not a person so any version of who/whom/who's/whose shouldn't be directly linked to it.

You could change "most" to "the majority", but if you change it to "many", you will change the meaning.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
where and most are much better choices.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
You could change "most" to "the majority", but if you change it to "many", you will change the meaning.
That text is actually an exercise where I should have inserted a suitable word. I wanted to use 'many' but the answer keys gave 'any', 'all' and 'most' (in the first sentence). I couldn't figure out why there aren't 'many' in that list and now I'm still not sure. I understand that 'many' and 'most' have different meanings. But do you think 'many' doesn't fit the context?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
"Whose" doesn't work. Scotland is not a person so any version of who/whom/who's/whose shouldn't be directly linked to it.
Thanks for noting this. Your reply made me think about it a little deeper, and I recalled that, on one hand, I did hear or see that whose is reserverved for people (or mostly for people), and, on the other, I still occasionally see instances when it's used with inanimate objects. (I think I saw it on this very forum, too. :-D I'm not sure, though. I didn't pay enough attention to it then.) Trying to resolve this contradiction, I googled and found an interesting article about it (https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whose-used-for-inanimate-objects). What I'm now curious about enormously is whether you, native speakers, use whose in spoken English, and if so, is it considered wrong by many people?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We use whose for inanimate objects when we want a possessive pronoun and no other option exists: That's the car whose owner tried to rob the bank.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that "all" is the logical answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say that whose does work here but where the is better.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
What about 'the majority' option? For some reason, it sounds awkward to me in that context, and you all seem to agree that 'most' is better in that sentence. I tried to explain to myself why I dislike it and didn't find the answer to this question. I googled 'majority vs most' and found this site, where there is some kind of discussion on this topic, but I must confess I still don't clearly see the difference between the two words. They (on that site) suggest using 'majority' when talking about statistics, if I understand it correctly. What do you think of it? How do you choose when to use one or the other? Personally. All rules aside. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, the difference between using "many" and "most of/the majority of" is that it's quite possible to have many XXXs without it being the majority of all the XXXs.

Sarah: Many of the people in my company own BMWs.
John: Really? How many?
Sarah: About 500.
John: How many people work at your company?
Sarah: 50,000!

In that scenario, it's perfectly fine to refer to 500 people as "many people". However, 500 people make up only 10% of the workforce so they do not constitute the majority of the workforce. If the majority of people at the company owned a BMW, there would have to be at least 25,001 BMW owners.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I googled 'majority vs most' and found this site, where there is some kind of discussion on this topic, but I must confess I still don't clearly see the difference between the two words. They (on that site) suggest using 'majority' when talking about statistics, if I understand it correctly. What do you think of it? How do you choose when to use one or the other?

I agree with the advice given on that site.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
In that scenario, it's perfectly fine to refer to 500 people as "many people". However, 500 people make up only 10% of the workforce so they do not constitute the majority of the workforce. If the majority of people at the company owned a BMW, there would have to be at least 25,001 BMW owners.
But it's also possible to refer to these 25,001 people as 'many', right? 'Many' seems to be a pretty vague term. In the original example (post #1), 'many' might not be as suitable as the other options, but it's still possible, isn't it? Vaguely speaking. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, in that scenario, 25,001 people out of 50,000 could be described as many, most or the majority of.
However, if there were only 5 people working at the company and 3 of them had BMWs, you could still say that most or the majority of the workforce had a BMW, but you wouldn't describe 3 people as ​many.

Status
Not open for further replies.