Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Which terms can be used here?

A huge shark is patrolling off the Mallorca coast to find incautious tourists to eat. No one should go swimming or diving or cruise off the shore with rubber dinghies or other vessels that are not ..............

seaworthy.
sea-kindly.
seagoing.
ocean-going.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Start by ruling out any terms that don't show significant usage in Google's Ngram Viewer. Then look up the survivors in a dictionary.

Where do you find these terms?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
"Sea-kindly" is very rare according to ngram. Do you think people don't understand the meaning of this term?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's stick to your original question. Now that you can rule out the exceedingly rare (I would have said "unknown", but apparently it has appeared in print a few times) "sea-kindly", does the dictionary definition of one of the remaining terms seem particularly apt for your sentence?

Also, please tell me where you find the zingers you include in these queries.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have never seen sea-kindly. Would you really need an ocean-going ship to take tourists out for a trip close the coast of an island?

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Let's stick to your original question. Now that you can rule out the exceedingly rare (I would have said "unknown", but apparently it has appeared in print a few times) "sea-kindly", does the dictionary definition of one of the remaining terms seem particularly apt for your sentence?

Also, please tell me where you find the zingers you include in these queries.

I don't know what "zingers" means here but it's a true story: http://www.theweek.co.uk/94675/great-white-shark-spotted-near-spanish-island-of-mallorca
To me it looks like the shark has had enough of tourists polluting the sea with feces and plastic, eating so many fish that were killed by brutal trapping methods etc. Now he is gung-ho to punish them for their sins.

I have never seen sea-kindly. Would you really need an ocean-going ship to take tourists out for a trip close the coast of an island?
Maybe not ocean-going but at least it should have a railing high enough so that the shark can't reach the people's arms or heads when they stand close to the railing. Also the fuselage should be made of steel or aluminum because wood might not be stable enough.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What have you found when you looked up seaworthy, seagoing, and ocean-going? Now that you've expanded on what you're trying to say, I'm not sure you're going to find a single adjective to describe it.

MinQKim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sea-kindly is used in rare cases, ocean-going or sea-going can be used, but I don't think any of these adjectives would best describe the sense of the sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.