Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This must be another word for word translation. Would it be better to say? "I went to the post office to send a letter" instead of the sentence below.

"I have sent a letter in the post office."

This must be another word for word translation. Would it be better to say[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE] "I went to the post office to send a letter" instead of the sentence below?

Yes.

"I have sent a letter in the post office."
Put question marks at the ends of questions, not in the middle.

"I went to the post office to send a letter" is perfectly natural English.

Or "post a letter".

We don't need to go to the post office to send a letter.

We stick a stamp on the envelope and put in a (UK) red post box or (USA) blue mailbox in the street.

We stick a stamp on the envelope and put in a (UK) red post box or (USA) blue mailbox in the street.

You can't get a "proof of posting" from the post box.

I stick it in my mailbox and raise the red lever on it to indicate that it contains outbound mail.

Yes—we can't do that here. We envy your ability to do that.

Yes—we can't do that here. We envy your ability to do that.

I'm not sure we do these days. During the strictest times of lockdown, going out for a nice walk to post a letter was many people's excuse for leaving the house.

The US Postal Service has been removing public mailboxes for decades for lack of use. The practice hit social media during the runup to the 2020 presidential election when a photo of a truck full of old mailboxes went around attached to outraged language asserting that they had just been removed to make voting by mail more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back