Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Good evening, Everyone! I was looking at this sentence and would like to ask if my analysis is correct:

ORIGINAL SENTENCE: "Therefore, compared to the conventional method, this machine's measurement time is shorter and target inflation pressure is lower, maximizing patient comfort while preserving the accuracy of this important parameter."

MY ANALYSIS:
"Therefore, compared to the conventional method, this machine's measurement time (SUBJECT) is (VERB) faster (OBJECT) (INDEPENDENT CLAUSE#1),

and (CONJUNCTION to combine the two clauses) ITS target inflation pressure (SUBJECT) is (VERB) lower (OBJECT), maximizing patient comfort while preserving the accuracy of this important parameter (INDEPENDENT CLAUSE#2)."

Also, I'm confused and don't know what the functions of the following sentences are in the sentence:
> Therefore, compared to the conventional method; and
> Maximizing patient comfort while preserving the accuracy of this important parameter

Please help me! It would mean the world to me as I'm not a native English speaker. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

While we are waiting for a teacher to answer your interesting question, I would like to make one comment,

I am 99% confident that the words "faster" and "lower" are not analyzed as "objects," at least in traditional secondary school grammar classes. They are called subject(ive) complements. If you said to someone "The pressure is," s/he would want you to complete (thus the word "complement") the meaning of the sentence. So you would say that the pressure is faster/lower/ higher or some other adjective.

My source: House and Harman, Descriptive English Grammar (1931), page 232.

Status
Not open for further replies.