Serious or funny English sentences printed in T-shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOYAGER

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
There are countless number of English sentences printed in t-shirts everybody wearing all over the world. Some of these sentences are serious and have good meanings. For example "SAVE THE PLANET" and "MAKE YOUR BEST" are two simple but good sentences.

Some printed sentences may be thought to be funny. "Sorry I’m late, I didn’t want to come." and "I'm your last chance" are two such examples. I had seen a few times some ladies (probably 55+ ages) wearing T-shirts with the last sentence printed in. (The country is Turkey.) But I strongly guess the ladies didn't know the English meaning. They had put on without knowing the English meaning. Perhaps they wouldn't buy these T-shirts if they had known the meaning of printed sentence.

Would you share some interesting examples you think worth to share?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I once saw a photo of a well-dressed Japanese matron. She was really done up to the nines and her outfit included a very wide belt with a single English word repeated over and over. The word was "Bullsh*t" and I'd be astounded if she had the foggiest idea what it means.😀

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Turkey, I had have seen a few times some ladies (probably aged 55+) ages) wearing T-shirts with the last sentence printed in on them. (The country is Turkey.) But I strongly guess suspect the ladies didn't know the English meaning and that they had put on were wearing the T-shirts without knowing the English meaning of the slogan. Perhaps they wouldn't buy have bought those T-shirts if they had known the meaning! of the printed sentence.
I imagine some of them knew exactly what it meant and they just have a great sense of humour!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

There are countless English sentences printed on T-shirts the world over.

I imagine that most of them are fairly short. (See below.)

My favorite T-shirt slogan: "I'm not short. I'm fun size."

VOYAGER

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I imagine some of them knew exactly what it meant and they just have a great sense of humour!
I firstly thank you very much for your careful grammar corrections.

However regarding your assumption, I am pretty sure that those old Turkish ladies did not actually look at the printed sentence and they most probably did not know English anyway. They weren't in need of knowing what was written on but they just needed some T-shirts to wear in summer. The basic mistake belongs to the T-shirt manufacturers because those manufacturers must have known that such a sentence on a T-shirt might not be a good idea. But perhaps they didn't care this fact because they just wanted to manufacture as much as T-shirts having only different slogans they could find. They might have assumed that only few old Turkish ladies could know and understand those undesirable T-shirt slogans. I am pretty sure again that those manufacturers actually didn't know the meaning, too. Most probably they may have used slogans obtained by browsing internet.

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I once had a male Somali student in his mid-twenties wear a garish sweatshirt with the words "World's Best Grandma" splayed across the front in glittery puff-paint to class.

I asked him if he knew what it meant. He did not.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@VOYAGER They didn't know the meaning either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I firstly Thank you very much for your careful grammar corrections.

However, regarding your assumption, I am pretty sure that those old Turkish ladies did not actually look at the printed sentence and they most probably did not know speak/understand English anyway. They weren't in need of knowing didn't need to know what was written on the meaning but they just needed some T-shirts to wear in summer.

The basic mistake belongs to was on the part of the T-shirt manufacturers because those manufacturers they must have known that such a sentence on a T-shirt might not be a good idea. But Perhaps they didn't care this fact because they just wanted to manufacture as much as many T-shirts as possible having only with different slogans on. they could find. They might have assumed that only few old Turkish ladies could know and would understand those undesirable T-shirt slogans. I am pretty sure again that those the manufacturers actually didn't actually know the meaning either. , too. Most probably They may have probably [just] used slogans obtained by browsing they found on the internet.
Note my corrections again. I suggested that some of them might understand the slogan, not all of them. Don't use subjective terms such as "undesirable" and "not a good idea" in a piece like this. That might be your opinion but there are plenty of people who would wear those T-shirts to demonstrate their sense of humour. Are you absolutely sure those T-shirts were made in Turkey? Isn't it possible that they were imported from an English-speaking country?
By the way, 55 isn't old! :eek:

VOYAGER

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Note my corrections again. I suggested that some of them might understand the slogan, not all of them. Don't use subjective terms such as "undesirable" and "not a good idea" in a piece like this. That might be your opinion but there are plenty of people who would wear those T-shirts to demonstrate their sense of humour. Are you absolutely sure those T-shirts were made in Turkey? Isn't it possible that they were imported from an English-speaking country?
By the way, 55 isn't old! :eek:
Thanks for your corrections again. I have thought that the terms "undesirable" and "not a good idea" might be some words of common sense for such a situation in general. You may also be right because the mentioned slogan may reflect a sense of humour to/for some people. (Personally I think single people over ages above 55-60 can hardly dare to date someone in real life.)
Of course I am not absolutely sure where those T-shirts were made. They could be even imported from another country as you guess. However the main point is that the mentioned slogan was prone to be understood funny. Let me give you a robust example. Think about the simple sentences belonging to children's world: "PLAY WITH ME" or "PLAY WITH US". They are really innocent or childlike but not in adults' world!

Would you like to see one of these sentences, especially the second one, on a T-shirt on a young/middle-aged lady? Presumably you wouldn't conclude nice things or results, would you? My conclusion is that not every sentence possibly funny should not be printed on T-shirts. Everyone likes to smile but T-shirt slogans mustn't be derogatory for the ones owning them even if the owner didn't know the meaning. Therefore T-shirt manufacturers must be responsible and careful not to cause a possible harmful meaning.

(The age 55 plus or especially 60 plus can be accepted too late for dating in several countries.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(Personally I think single people over ages above the age of 55-60 can hardly dare to date someone in real life.)
:eek::eek::eek: I can assure you that the dating scene for the over 50s is alive and well in the UK!
(The People aged 55 plus or (especially particularly those who are 60 plus) can be accepted considered too late old for dating in several countries.)
:eek::eek::eek: What a terrible shame for people over 55 who are still looking for love, or looking for a new relationship after a divorce or a bereavement. I am very glad I don't live in one of those countries.

VOYAGER

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I can assure you that the dating scene for the over 50s is alive and well in the UK!
May you be forgetting that the main topic of this thread was just about some T-shirt slogans? Because certain slogans might be prone to be considered funny according to different cultural perspectives. Of course the fact you can observe in the UK may be possible in lots of countries but it may not be so widespread. It may even be rare or somewhat unsual depending on several conditions. Therefore you had better not expect that your obsevation might be always valid out of the UK.
What a terrible shame for people over 55 who are still looking for love, or looking for a new relationship after a divorce or a bereavement. I am very glad I don't live in one of those countries.
Divorce and bereavement are naturaly exceptional cases to mention here. I am sorry but I never intended to refer or imply anything terribly shame. The nuclear family is the most logical solution to form and maintain a healty society for the whole human civilisations. Some middle aged single people may still look for someone to date but some others may not! Somebody in the first group is of course free to wear a mentioned T-shirt but isn’t that kind of a declaration to date somewhat funny?

My advice is not to extend the main topic.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think this thread has reached the end of its useful life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.