Fredkin’s original digital-universe theory has “very serious impediments towards a classical digital universe

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Fredkin’s original digital-universe theory has “very serious impediments towards a classical digital universe being able to comprehend quantum mechanical phenomena”. But swap the classical computational rules of Fredkin’s digital physics for quantum rules, and a lot of those problems melt away. You can capture intrinsic features of a quantum Universe such as entanglement between two quantum states separated in space in a way that a theory built on classical ideas can’t.

Source: Nature

Does "towards" here mean "with respect to"? But even so I don't understand the exact meaning of "impediments" here. It seems to mean either "(Fredkin had serious) difficulties (in understanding a classical digital universe being able to comprehend quantum mechanical phenomena)" or (Fredkin's original model still had serious) flaws (if it wanted to be a classical digital universe being able to comprehend quantum mechanical phenomena). The latter appears to be more likely. I am not absolutely sure.

What does "impediments" mean there?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Impediments is used there in its usual ordinary sense, so a dictionary definition is all you need.

I do think the Nature article has used towards to mean in respect to, but it's certainly an odd and unusual choice of word.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The latter.