This original minute (or protocol) the clerk hands to the judges of the court named

Status
Not open for further replies.

okanf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Cyprus
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you.

"This original minute (or protocol) the clerk hands to the judges of the court named, who sets a day for the hearing, and indorses a note of this on the minute."

What is the problem of this sentence? Can someone help me please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. What is the problem of with this the following sentence? Can someone help me please?

"The clerk hands the This original minute (or protocol) the clerk hands to the judges of the court, named, who sets set a day date for the hearing, and endorses add a note of this on the minute."

I've done my best to make the sentence grammatical, at least. However, I don't really know what it's about. What do you mean by "minute (or protocol)"? You need to give us more context if we're going to help you further. Who wrote the original sentence? (If you didn't write it yourself, you need to give us the source and the author.)

okanf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Cyprus
060793_1_ftc_dp - Kopya - Kopya - Kopya (69) - Kopya - Kopya - Kopya - Kopya - Kopya - Kopya -...jpg

This is the original source of the sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is the original source of the sentence.

That's a screenshot of the piece. You still need to give us the name of the person who wrote it and the title of the book you found it in. I would also be particularly interested to know what year this was written.

okanf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Cyprus
Sure, this is an academic paper. It is from the Michigan Law Review. The title is "The German Law-Suit without Lawyers." The writer is Simeon E. Baldwin. And the date of publication is 1909.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me to be a description of a standard judicial procedure. It would be better if you could say specifically what you don't understand.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The words immediately preceding those quoted in post 3 are:

The first step in a summary suit to be disposed of without law-yers is for the plaintiff to go to the clerk of the court of the first instance having jurisdiction over the matter and tell him his story. The clerk makes a brief minute or protocol of this.

Let us suppose that the controversy has arisen over goods in the possession of one man which are claimed by another. The protocol might read thus.

"Uelzen, March 23, I900. Clerk's office of the Royal Court of First Instance.

There appeared Major von Kladny of this place and made the following complaint against the master-mason Franz Beck also of this place.

I therefore see no problem with the words quoted in post 1 except the unusual o-S-V word order amended by emsr2d2.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If the correct form is minute (or protocol), I think it should be used every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.