Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I know the word series, but I've seen serial used instead a few times.

Googling it taught me there's apparently a difference between the two, about how self-contained their episodes are.

It's a new word to me. How frequently do you use serial for TV shows?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay. As far as common usage is concerned, the first thought that strikes me is that serial is widely used in the industry to talk about a 'closed' series of episodes, especially when referring to drama. It's often used after modifiers like two-part or three-part, etc.

A new four-part serial coming soon to Netflix.

In everyday conversation, we don't tend to say I'm watching a new serial. When referring to a show 'as a show', we'd say series. (I'm watching a new series.) We'd use serial only to focus on that it's a closed set of episodes, I'd say. In other words, when we're talking about the form rather than the show itself.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Serial" is the old word used, back when serials were motion picture shorts that were shown in movie theaters, before television existed.

Netflix is just trying to sound different, in my opinion. They have series, just like everyone else, but they're using the old word for it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are you sure you've seen "serial" used by Netflix themselves - on their website or app? I use Netflix a lot and I've seen only "series". This is the top toolbar on the website:

Screenshot 2021-12-11 at 19.39.31.png

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with SoothingDave that serial is an older name. It lives on in India where there are still lots of usages that have faded away in western countries. For example Indian English is still fond of the word chaps. I've even heard an Indian call someone "a cad and a bounder." 🙂

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Netflix is just trying to sound different, in my opinion. They have series, just like everyone else, but they're using the old word for it.
Are you sure you've seen "serial" used by Netflix themselves - on their website or app?
Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't actually seen "Netflix Original Serial". I just wanted to explain what I mean by "using the word serial for TV shows" in the shortest way possible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh, I'm sorry. I haven't actually seen "Netflix Original Serial". I just wanted to explain what I mean by "using the word serial for TV shows" in the shortest way possible.
Bear in mind that thread titles should include phrases or sentences you actually use in your post. If you weren't asking us about "Netflix Original Serial", it had no business being the thread title. In fact, "Using the word "serial" for TV shows" would have been a better title.

The short answer to your question is - stick with "series" (in the context of TV shows that have more than one episode) and you can't go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.